free website stats program Replacing clutch pack friction rings and spacers | Harley Davidson Forums

Replacing clutch pack friction rings and spacers

TQuentin1

Staff member
Been a while Folks!!

Spending a bunch of time working from the house. So in between work work, I have been doing some hobby and project stuff. That includes replacing the OEM clutch pack guts with a Screamin' Eagle Performance Clutch Friction Disc Kit #37980-10.

The "kit" is just the friction rings and spacer rings. But the friction rings in the SE kit are completely covered on both sides with the friction material. This is different from the OEM friction rings that have little "pads" of friction material all the way around on both sides (see pix).

When stripping the OEM stuff out of the clutch basket, don't forget to remove the damper ring and damper ring seat or the new stuff with not fit. They are all the way in the basket. You may need a magnet fish to get them out.

Easypeasy and it improves the "grab" of the clutch with all that additional friction material on the friction rings.

Cheers,

TQ

Attachments

• 1-On Jack Ready.JPG
    1-On Jack Ready.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 16
  • 2-Primary Cover Off.JPG
    2-Primary Cover Off.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 18
  • 3-Old Rings Out.JPG
    3-Old Rings Out.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 20
  • 4-New Kit in Clutch Basket.JPG
    4-New Kit in Clutch Basket.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 20
  • 5-Primary Cover On.JPG
    5-Primary Cover On.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 20
  • 6-Reassembling.JPG
    6-Reassembling.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 17
  • 7-Back Together.JPG
    7-Back Together.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 19
  • 8-Ready to GO.JPG
    8-Ready to GO.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 17
  • 9-OEM Rings and Damper Spring.JPG
    9-OEM Rings and Damper Spring.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 20
  • 10-OEM Rings.JPG
    10-OEM Rings.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 16
Been a while Folks!!

Spending a bunch of time working from the house. So in between work work, I have been doing some hobby and project stuff. That includes replacing the OEM clutch pack guts with a Screamin' Eagle Performance Clutch Friction Disc Kit #37980-10.

The "kit" is just the friction rings and spacer rings. But the friction rings in the SE kit are completely covered on both sides with the friction material. This is different from the OEM friction rings that have little "pads" of friction material all the way around on both sides (see pix).

When stripping the OEM stuff out of the clutch basket, don't forget to remove the damper ring and damper ring seat or the new stuff with not fit. They are all the way in the basket. You may need a magnet fish to get them out.

Easypeasy and it improves the "grab" of the clutch with all that additional friction material on the friction rings.

Cheers,

TQ

Here are the instructions!!!

TQ

Attachments

• 11-Destructions.jpg
    11-Destructions.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 16
Looks like you have a great project going on.
Let us know the outcome after a few pulls.

After swapping out the clutch pack, the only problem I am having is when the tranny/primary warms up, it is VERY hard to find neutral. I have adjusted the clutch throw-out a number of times, but am nervous about getting too tight and then having the clutch slip when warmed up. But I think that is the issue. I just have to get up the nerve to tighten the adjuster more!!!

Cheers,

TQ

Back