free website stats program Replacing 5 speed stock transmission with a 6 speed | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Replacing 5 speed stock transmission with a 6 speed

Quite frankly,HD should get their gear ratio's squared away in this 6 speed.I could actually use a another gear between 5th and 6th.

That's all changed with the new bikes with a lower gearing by using a different size rear pulley.

Time for a new bike! :D

I bot a 6 speed- full set gears with trap door(overdrive less than 400 rpm drop) and re-did my 2000 dyn s.....I paid $1550 several years ago thru j$p cycle... a REV TECH ... now they go for about a $grand..... I am VERY PLEASED with my unit..... I had NO problems installing and setting it up........ ALWAYS shifts smoothly up-down and I must have over 40,000 on it..... I use REDLINE SHOCKPROOF HEAVY and NEVER have ANY metal on the magnet.... same with my engine.... redline 20/50 or 60.

back then....
BAKER would not warranty their 6 speeds without redline-shockproof-heavy
in them....

THANKS for your service!!!!! ---- KEEP SAFE!!!!
I hope you ride the wheels off your harley no matter what trany u use..

signed....BUBBIE

I also run a Revtech 6 speed on my 03 Roadglide. 6th feels like just another gear not an overdrive. I pull pretty hard as I have 124 inch mill in front of it. 15000 troble free miles

Yea, I have been thinking of that. Since I am deployed and can buy it through the AAFES new car program for a little over MSRP. My scooter is paid for and I really don't want the payment since I am retiring about a year after I get back. I have a little over 22,000 on the current transmission and I always seem to be reaching for another gear. I have talked with others who have the 6 speed and they tell me it is good for highway riding. I am also looking to add an oil cooler and am doing research on the best one to use. Any ideas there are also appreciated.

Yea, I have been thinking of that. Since I am deployed and can buy it through the AAFES new car program for a little over MSRP. My scooter is paid for and I really don't want the payment since I am retiring about a year after I get back. I have a little over 22,000 on the current transmission and I always seem to be reaching for another gear. I have talked with others who have the 6 speed and they tell me it is good for highway riding. I am also looking to add an oil cooler and am doing research on the best one to use. Any ideas there are also appreciated.

Lots and lots of info and opinions about oil coolers here on the Forum. Do a Search (actually advanced search) in the Self-help area for the term oil cooler. You will get lots of hits.

TQ

Is anybody familiar with the differences in gear sets? (ie. softail and dyna)
I have a new 6 speed trans for a softail; it was given to me.
I'd like to transfer the gear set into my Dyna transmission. If it is possible.
This transmission hasn't cost me a dime so far so if I can I'd like to use it.

Back