free website stats program Replaced wires & bike is still shutting down | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Replaced wires & bike is still shutting down

Ironmark, my first thought when you said the wiring was pinched and started to give you codes that pointed to the TPS...so it stands to reason that when they shorted the wires, a high DC current probably shorted and "burned" the wire wound rheostat (essentially a wire wound resistance wire contacting a wiper at various points) with a resistance taper (characteristic) that matches the throttle position) so that that burnt area when contacted probably looks "Open" giving you the code, and once it is detected, the HD software does not do multiple-error correcting reads so it just kicks out the code and your in limp mode.

Since throttle openings are input at constantly variable rates, possibly if there is enough movement to get past that burned spot is like hearing the correct volume setting beyond the crackling sound you heard from old table radio volume controls of an intermittant wiper contact. I doubt HD processor software is sophisticated enough to correct for that, and doubt you would gain anything by " -just replacing the harness". Use some shrink tubing if you can slip the conductor/connector out to slip some over the cut insulation or electrical tape and glue the ends with sealer. Unfortunately, if you "arc" or burn a section of the rheostat it will only get worse. I have seen some self-destruct, the wires unwinding and shorting to parts and actually catch on fire...as sometimes they do not use ceramic insulator, but fiberglass, or bakelite which can carbonize and aggravate the problem even more.

Last edited:
Ironmark, my first thought when you said the wiring was pinched and started to give you codes that pointed to the TPS...so it stands to reason that when they shorted the wires, a high DC current probably shorted and "burned" the wire wound rheostat (essentially a wire wound resistance wire contacting a wiper at various points) with a resistance taper (characteristic) that matches the throttle position) so that that burnt area when contacted probably looks "Open" giving you the code, and once it is detected, the HD software does not do multiple-error correcting reads so it just kicks out the code and your in limp mode.

Great explanation, NEWHD, of what exactly must have happened. I had no idea HD actually had "drive by wire" on any of there bikes yet. If you have no mechanical cables from your twist grip to your throttle body then you have "drive by wire" and it sure does sound like that twist grip rheostat is bad in your case.
If it is the same as is used in the automotive industry, then there should be a 3 wire cable going to your twist grip control. 1) GRD, 2) +5 volt reference, 3) Output. With engine off, IGN ON, place a voltmeter between frame grd & the output lead and twist the grip. The voltage should sweep from like .1 volts to maybe 4.88 volts.

This .1 to 4.88v control signal goes to the ECM. The ECM then drives a motor to open your throttle body butterfly. This was all done to decrease emissions. The ECM has total control of the butterfly regardless of your hand, allowing it to bleed in air upon deceleration.... But as you can see, an incredible safety hazard does exist with any "drive by wire" system. An erratic control signal could tell the bike to go WOT when you don't want it to. Therefore the firmware will IMMEDIATELY kick in to limp mode at the VERY 1st sign that something is wrong. There are NO start cycle corrections with drive by wire.
If you have a meter, test it. I am sure your sitting on your problem.:p

The wire that was pinched was the right turn signal wire , it was not cut , the insulation was not broken . How can a turn signal wire shut down a MC ?? The only potentiometer on the 08 & up bike is in the TBW the TPS is in the TCA & if the TPS has to be replaced you have to replace the TCA which means that you have to replace the complete throttle body because the TPS is part of the TCA . And if you look at the the original post I was asking if the dealer could pull up the DTC code after the code were cleared . I would like to thank everyone for helping but all the info was outdated & pertained to pre-08bikes .

Because the TBW bikes have no throttle cable system & on the throttle body ( injection module assembly ) there is no TPS .

The wire that was pinched was the right turn signal wire , it was not cut , the insulation was not broken . How can a turn signal wire shut down a MC ?? The only potentiometer on the 08 & up bike is in the TBW the TPS is in the TCA.

From what you are saying, you have me confused. I don't think anyone said the turn signal cable would make the MC cut out. Originally you said there was no TPS, which made no sense.
If you have no mechanical throttle cables and it's drive by wire, then the twist grip must have at least 1 rheostat (possibly more for redundancy safety). The throttle body has a motor and most likely a TPS to inform the ECM where the butterfly is. Yes, it may be integrated with the motor and throttle body and is a complete assembly. That is the way it is on my car.
If the codes are cleared correctly (using a SERT) the dealer won't be able to see the codes any longer. This info is not pre-'08. Do you have the pull out electrical sheets from the service manual? The prints will tell exactly what is present.
Tried to answer all the questions but I am not sure I know what your asking for.

If you clear the codes to where you cant read them then no the dealer wont be able to either..

it sounds like either the TBW is going bad or has a bad wire were your bars ever replaced?

and yes the Throttle position sensor is part of the throttle servo setup and the whole throttle body must be replaced thats a stupid setup right there..

Back