free website stats program replaced front motor mount | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

replaced front motor mount

Casey, glad you got it sorted. My only question is why did it fail so soon...oil contamination or improperly torqued/loose mounting? Root cause is a good friend for preventing premature failure...just saying. :coffee

Casey, glad you got it sorted. My only question is why did it fail so soon...oil contamination or improperly torqued/loose mounting? Root cause is a good friend for preventing premature failure...just saying. :coffee

I'm not sure if his Ultra rubber mounts the same as my Dyna, but I always felt the pre-load HD patented stretch deformed my mount. I only had 14,000 miles on my bike when I pulled the front mount off and it looked deformed and stretched forward. I ordered a new one and set both of them on table side by side and my old mount was pulled forward 3/8 of an inch.

So when I reinstalled the new mount I did the unload washer shim. You can search the forum for info on that, it's been covered. But I feel my new mount will last longer having done that, becuase it's not stretched anymore. At idle I can't tell any difference but above 50mph I now have much less vibration and the bike is very smooth at 70mph.

my old mount was pretty flat, wasn,t oil covered so that wasn,t the problem. The two bolts holding the mount to the bracket were really loose because the mount was so flat. The new mount is a new design ,designed to last longer so the dealer says. Probably could have been covered by warranty but I wanted it done now. Bike is an 05 with 65,000 kms. on it.

We in Canada can order anything from the US but the problem is that a lot of vendors will only ship UPS and that costs us big time. UPS charges a "handling fee" when goods cross the border and that fee is sometimes quite high. I was once charged $100. handling fee on a GPS unit ordered from the US. Now, if the vendor will ship USPS we have no problems and no extra fees.

UPS calls it a "brokerage fee" (it has absolutely nothing to do with customs or duty), and often times it exceeds the value of the goods being shipped. There is a class action suit against UPS in Ontario over this. I won't use UPS. Ever.

UPS calls it a "brokerage fee" (it has absolutely nothing to do with customs or duty), and often times it exceeds the value of the goods being shipped. There is a class action suit against UPS in Ontario over this. I won't use UPS. Ever.

M & M Cycles ships Fedex Air and there are no Brokerage fees involved, and Mark is always a great guy to deal with.

We in Canada can order anything from the US but the problem is that a lot of vendors will only ship UPS and that costs us big time. UPS charges a "handling fee" when goods cross the border and that fee is sometimes quite high. I was once charged $100. handling fee on a GPS unit ordered from the US. Now, if the vendor will ship USPS we have no problems and no extra fees.
USPS - aka "United States Postal Service". Not duty on Motorcycle Parts which leaves the remaining Canadian border INQUISITION to: more than $50 CND, is it worth the paperwork to charge GST and /or PST ( in BS we say HST).

Whenever I order parts out of the USA I will look for a vendor that provides the option of using US Postal Service cause as already stated, if you ship using UPS or FEDEX, you end up paying ridiculous brokerage fees which add up fast.

I generally support my local Canadian dealers but can't quite figure out why Harley Davidson of Canada charges us Canucks a significant premium on parts vs the US pricing. Especially when our canuck buck has been at or above par for quite some time.

I can order parts from the US just as easily and often save 30-40 percent over local dealer prices. Again, I try to support local dealers and dont mind paying a small premium for the convenience but am tired of getting gouged.

Until Harley Davidson of Canada adjusts their prices to reflect the current money markets, I will continue to send my cash to the USA. Sorry for getting off topic but until Canadians start voicing our concerns, we will continue to pay way too much for parts.

just had my motor mount replaced on my 2002 road king with the updated motor mount and the vibration is just way too bad at idle its not even enjoyable,brought it back to the dealer who replaced it and they said it is normal,Ihad a 2000 road king before this 2002 and it didn`t vibrate this much and it didn`t vibrate as much before it was replaced,I would say the vibration is four times as bad, its Terrible!

Anyone with any remarks I would greatly appreciate it!

The newer replacement mounts are stiffer than the older ones and more vibrations are a result of this "improvement". Some talk about using a Buell mount on the big twins but I don't have the particulars on it.

Back