free website stats program Replaced Brake pads, now no ABS? | Harley Davidson Forums

Replaced Brake pads, now no ABS?

tunes

I just replaced the rear brake pads on my 08 streetglide with ABS. Nothing unusual, just replaced the pads, I didn't mess with wheel sensor, loosened the resovoir cover so we could push pistons back a little. Now the ABS light will not go out.
Is there a reset of some sort I need to do I dont see anything in the service manual.

No answer but you can disconnect the battery for a few minutes and see if that will work.
kemo

Looks like a trip to the dealer to have them bled. In pushing the pistons back into the caliper, you may have backed a bit of air into the system. I like to open the bleeder on the calliper and expel the brake fluid instead of pushing it back into the system.

You can always try a bleeding to see if it helps, otherwise the dealer needs to do it using the digital tech.

Dont Know if this is right for ABS on a bike but never push old fluid back into a master cylinder with ABS, it can plug critical ports in the ABS controller and solenoids, least it does this in cars and trucks. Some get lucky and never have an issue, but when I teach a brake class and I have been for 20 plus years I always tell my guys to open a bleeder and push the old fluid out first JMO:D

Never worked on a MOCO ABS equiped bike, but you could try bleeding out the brakes with a vacume bleeder (MityVac at sears or autozone) through the caliper. I would draw about a 1/2 pint of fluid through the systgem making sure the resivoir stays close to full and see if it helps. The manual references the Digital tech as part of the bleeding process for ABS so a trip to your dealer may be in order.

Thanks all. Will try bleeding this weekend and see what happens. I have replaced pads on my truck with ABS the same way and have not had a problem with air getting in, sure hope I can avoid the dealer. :(

Had a similar problem with my 2008 with abs. I replace the master with a chrome version and could not get them blead correctly for nothing. A trip to the dealer and they put it on digital tech and that did the trick.

Back