free website stats program Repeal of Michigan's helmet law... by choice now!!!! | Harley Davidson Forums

Repeal of Michigan's helmet law... by choice now!!!!

IDK...when I was younger & w/o family it didn't seem so important to wear helmet, but after being a EMT/FF, seeing accident results & now married w/teens...gonna use every piece of protective gear I own. Yes...anything can happen, but can't say I didn't try to keep myself as safe as humanly possible...including the most important part (head).

I agree with Iceman. Regardless of the law I will ALWAYS wear my protective gear. However, I have no problem with people riding without their helmets as I believe in the freedom of choice. I think it's a shame when the government tries to enforce safety rules on individuals. If you choose to ride without a lid please be careful and enjoy the ride.

The sad part of repealing the helmet law is this. The number of riders that die due to accidents that could have been survivable without serious injury, if rider was wearing a helmet. I have been riding over 25 years and see no advantage to not wearing a helmet. It does not encroach on my freedom while riding. The bugs hitting me in the head alone make it worth wearing a helmet.
I get a kick out this statement in the article " They say the change will draw more motorcycle riders to Michigan and increase tourism revenue." Really. I wonder how much increase of revenue they will gain??????
Especially if I need a helmet to traverse all the states that border Michigan...

Also...they need to deduct the $$$ lost caring for these riders (added medical charges). I have no problem w/rider PPE choice(s) & don't preach helmet gospel to ones who choose melon-freedom. Biggest concern is the added risk to self/family...

my 2 cents

I will alaways wear a helmet but I believe it is important to be able to make that choice for myself and not have someone dictate it to me.

I know there is no guarantee that wearing a helmet while on my bike or a seat belt when in my car will save my save my life in a bad accident but the chance that they will is worth the extra few seconds it takes to put them on.

Maybe if you have the right to say I'm not going to take every step possible to increase the chances of surviving an accident, then maybe the insurance companies should have the right to refuse to pay medical and or life benefits.

But if you want to ride without a helmet then maybe you should because it's your life and if you die it won't effect anyone else. Not your family, not your friends, just you.

JMO

While I do not wear a lid I believe in putting the rights of ALL back in the peoples hands not pre determined by government agencies and dictated by Big monies Nuff Said:s

How soon could it be YOU CAN'T ride a motorcycle because some Bureaucrat in Washington thinks YOU are at RISK and it IS Better IF you don't...

YES, we can see Where it MAY be better/safer for RULES/LAWS but..

Com'n, give me a break.

I CHOOSE to wear mine but,I Don't Like being TOLD I Have To.

Same goes with the seatbelt law/rule. Often wondered WHEN they will be required on Bikes and then that roller blade on your back and the and the and the..... You get MY picture.:newsmile055::newsmile055::bigsmiley33:

It is Called

"""FREEDOM"""

signed....BUBBIE

Back