free website stats program Redline oil | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Redline oil

Bubbie, I also am a devoted Redline user. However, when I switched to Redline in 2007 in a Fatboy I purchased new, I am quite sure the bottle color was white - 20W/50 and know what I am using is the "black bottle" that says V-twin. When I ask the question at the HD dealer I was told it had something to do with "friction modifiers" in one and not in the other.

Does that sound like I was being passified??

Roger

Bubbie, I also am a devoted Redline user. However, when I switched to Redline in 2007 in a Fatboy I purchased new, I am quite sure the bottle color was white - 20W/50 and know what I am using is the "black bottle" that says V-twin. When I ask the question at the HD dealer I was told it had something to do with "friction modifiers" in one and not in the other.

Does that sound like I was being passified??

Roger
Roger,

"friction modifiers" are used in Gear Oil as far as I know

Redline Has changed out the color of their bottles/and different labels..

I prefer to use the 20/50 in the BLUE label,,,, It is what I have used for years....
I did use 20/60 Before they changed out the 20/60 and put it into the Black bottle and silver label , I bought it by the case when I was in Az. THEN the color of bottle, Black and silver label and the 3$ more stating V-twin....

I do remember the White 20/50 bottles ,,, then the 20/50 Blue Label on the white bottle.... 20/60 is in the Black bottle V-twin.

I don't think the Black bottle and 20/60 is needed.... BUT, I WAS told that the 20/60 Has More anti-wear in it...

EPA has come DOWN on the oil industry and ONLY a few Oils can have ALL the anti wear chemicals put into them.... 20/50 is one designation especially for AIR COOLED and diesel engines that allow the anti wear in them....

Go read under "Redline Oils" GOOGLE
I would not trust any HD dealer saying anything about Redline
signed....BUBBIE

i have a bottle of redline vtwin shockproof heavy for sale I just didnt like the way my tranny shifted with it in there and it was prolly just me. so if you interested pm me

Hve not put the RL oil and tranny fluid in yet. Once I do, I'll report back after some time.

Ride safe and have fun.

Hello everyone
I use the shockproof heavy in the hotter months and the lighter shockproof in the spring and fall. I found the heavy made my tranny sluggish and whine when it was cooler. I know what they say about the viscocity flow at 140 but the lighter of the two made a difference when it was cooler, IMHO.
I am curious about the 20/60 engine oil for when its hot. Any experiences?

Hello everyone
I use the shockproof heavy in the hotter months and the lighter shockproof in the spring and fall. I found the heavy made my tranny sluggish and whine when it was cooler. I know what they say about the viscocity flow at 140 but the lighter of the two made a difference when it was cooler, IMHO.
I am curious about the 20/60 engine oil for when its hot. Any experiences?

I find the 20/50 does the needed job just fine.. Unless your bike runs XTRA Hot, The 20w50 should do the job.. The 60 just shows oil is designed to sustain a HIGHER heat range keeping at a 20w.. so maybe 20w500? but WHY when 20w50 works good...

20/60 Redline (3$ more a bottle) I have used while down in Az. but Never thought it was Needed.. even on HOT days..???? noticed NO differences... Oil pressure was the same because it NEVER ran HOT. Oil temps stayed at about 190/200 degrees. 20w50 did just fine so that is what I used.

Now IF your oil temp runs higher than mine, ? 230* I could see the NEED for the 60.

signed....BUBBIE

Back