free website stats program redline- 883 sportster 2000 | Harley Davidson Forums

redline- 883 sportster 2000

markpwhite

it just occurred to me after riding this nearly new bike for 2000 miles i do not know the rpm redline. it does not have a tachometer yet i shift out of first at speeds no greater than 20 mph, 35 mph for second and fifty for third. After that I just dont go over 70 in fifth gear. So what is the mfg. recommended redline?

Isn't that about where the factory ignition quits ? Mark if nobody has messed with your bike I don't believe it's possible to over-rev it, the engine will simply not go any higher.

On the other hand, with a near 4 inch stoke, I don't believe I want to rev it much higher than in the 6500 area anyway. I hear tales of spinning a Harley at 7000 and 7500 .. but not for long without considerable modifications.

The ref limiter on the sporty is 5500 and the big twins 5800. You really don't want to crank them up to the limiter if they are expected to live a decent life. Even the 6200 raise with the dealer download is stressing these motors.When you do hit the limiter the bike just flattens out and will not go any more.

If you listen to the engine, it will tell you where it's comfortable even without a tach. No lugging and if in doubt, downshift and motor away to the next gear.

in the general tips thread there is a chart that shows rpm at different speeds in different gears

Back