free website stats program Rebuilding floor jack | Harley Davidson Forums

Rebuilding floor jack

bus driver

I dont know if this is going to help anyone but here goes. I have a Allied 2 1/4 ton floor jack. It is a common design with many manufacturers. I downloaded Harbor Freights model 4172 manual.(which happens to be my exact jack). With the assembly and operating instructions manual and the help of a real hardware store, I was able to rebuild my jack fairly easily. All I needed was some O rings and some jack oil. So I gave it a whirl. It appears the O ring for the plunger was bad and was leaking all over my garage for years. Every time I went to use it, I had to refill it. It is not hard to do if you have any mechanical ability at all. Just be very careful of the ball bearings placement and their whereabouts.(it helps to have a magnetic bowl handy, I found out later). My neighbors have the same exact jack, but by different manufactures. They have never had one problem with theirs and I have had nothing but trouble. If yours is the same as mine and my neighbors, Harbor Freight offers a rebuild kit. I dont know what they charge, but with the O rings and oil for mine it was less than $7.00.The oil being the most expensive. I truly hope this helps somebody out there. P.S. (With my wife yelling at me in the middle of the rebuild ,I became distracted. Not having the magnetic bowl at that point, I misplaced the smallest ballbearing. I noticed that it was about the same size as a BB from my sons BB gun. So again I gave it a whirl. It works fine. I know what your thinking,I always use jackstands and so should you. Good Luck. Dont be afraid. Bus Driver.

Last edited:
I dont know if this is going to help anyone but here goes. I have a Allied 2 1/4 ton floor jack. It is a common design with many manufacturers. I downloaded Harbor Freights model 4172 manual.(which happens to be my exact jack). With the assembly and operating instructions manual and the help of a real hardware store, I was able to rebuild my jack fairly easily. All I needed was some O rings and some jack oil. So I gave it a whirl. It appears the O ring for the plunger was bad and was leaking all over my garage for years. Every time I went to use it, I had to refill it. It is not hard to do if you have any mechanical ability at all. Just be very careful of the ball bearings placement and their whereabouts.(it helps to have a magnetic bowl handy, I found out later). My neighbors have the same exact jack, but by different manufactures. They have never had one problem with theirs and I have had nothing but trouble. If yours is the same as mine and my neighbors, Harbor Freight offers a rebuild kit. I dont know what they charge, but with the O rings and oil for mine it was less than $7.00.The oil being the most expensive. I truly hope this helps somebody out there. P.S. (With my wife yelling at me in the middle of the rebuild ,I became distracted. Not having the magnetic bowl at that point, I misplaced the smallest ballbearing. I noticed that it was about the same size as a BB from my sons BB gun. So again I gave it a whirl. It works fine. I know what your thinking,I always use jackstands and so should you. Good Luck. Dont be afraid. Bus Driver.

Appreciate the info. Thanks. I have one to do.
WAP.gif

I was mistaken. it'a a 2 ton Allied jack, it's also a 2 1/2 Harbor Freight jack. Same animal. Good luck with the rebuild. Have fun.

Back