free website stats program Rebuild or buy new | Harley Davidson Forums

Rebuild or buy new

harley@16

Well, the insurance adjuster totaled my bike after hitting the deer and now I have a choice. 15K and they keep it or 6600 and I keep it. I ran the parts and I can repair it myself for about 3000. They found a slight tear in the tab where the crash bars mount at the top. A local shop told me that shouldn't compromise the frame and I agree. So now I need to decide if I want to put the 15K into a new one or fix the old one. WWYD?
Harley

There's so many ways of looking at this, and IMO after running all the scenarios, your insides will tell you what to do. If there's ANY doubt about the frame being compromised, I'd go for the total loss.
I had a 5 mph get off that bent my front crash bar, and ripped the center mount like yours. I just pounded it flat with a bit of heat. My ins. paid me $3K
for damages. Using Ebay and Craigslist, I spent less than $1K, and upgraded several things such as footpegs, saddlebag guard rails,latches, etc. I was able to rub out some paint instead of new bags. I spent $0 at the dealer, and $0 for labor. BUT,,, it took me a couple of months riding around with a blemished bike to find the good deals. That's what I like to do. You may want it fixed NOW.

My only question is if you keep and repair the bike will it have a recon or salvage title?

There's so many ways of looking at this, and IMO after running all the scenarios, your insides will tell you what to do. If there's ANY doubt about the frame being compromised, I'd go for the total loss.
I had a 5 mph get off that bent my front crash bar, and ripped the center mount like yours. I just pounded it flat with a bit of heat. My ins. paid me $3K
for damages. Using Ebay and Craigslist, I spent less than $1K, and upgraded several things such as footpegs, saddlebag guard rails,latches, etc. I was able to rub out some paint instead of new bags. I spent $0 at the dealer, and $0 for labor. BUT,,, it took me a couple of months riding around with a blemished bike to find the good deals. That's what I like to do. You may want it fixed NOW.

Now I have all winter to get it done. with enough to do some extras, Paint, etc.

There is an opportunity to make the bike as you want it paint accessories etc if it were me in your position as long as the frame is good i would enjoy the challenge of make the bike mine

Brian

I wouldn't want the salvaged (if that is what it will be) title on a bike unless I were keeping it forever. You would probably loose trying to resell.

Personally I would take the money and get a used bike for less than the 15'500 and than make any mods I wanted with the extra money. You just never know when you hit something head on, even at a low speed. Good luck whichever way you choose.
WAP.gif

Breeze, when you did yours did your title get changed?

No, $3k damage wasn't near value of bike. When I posted my reply, I didn't think of "salvage" title. Like others said, if I didn't intend on keeping the bike for a looong time, I wouldn't want a salvage title. You are going to change your mind a lot on this. I've changed my mind a couple of times just posting my opinion on YOUR bike! :small3d031:

Back