free website stats program Rear Tires Excessive Wear on 07 FXSTC | Page 5 | Harley Davidson Forums

Rear Tires Excessive Wear on 07 FXSTC

Tyre tread should be measured at the deepest point of the tread i use a tread depth guage it does not cost much and does not wear out as i am in the uk minimum legal depth is 1.8mm for a car and 1 mm for a motorcycle

Draper Tyre Tread Depth Gauge Part No: TG92

Brian

F.B.,
"Where do you measure tread depth?

At the wear indicator?"

Yes

Al

:USA
:CONNECTICUT

I wrote to Dunlop and asked this question:
"Where do you measure tread depth? Is it on top of tread wear indicator, or, deepest part of used tread?"

Dunlop's reply:
"Recommend you stick the tire in 3 different places.
This should give you a good tread depth.

If you are unable to determine the tread depth, stop in at a reputable dealer for assistance.

Should you need further information or assistance, please call Dunlop Consumer Affairs @ 800-845-8378 "

I guess I have to call them.

The tread wear indicator is moulded in to give an easy visual indication of the tyre being worn out so that when the the tyre has worn sufficiently that the tread wear indicator is level with the main part of the rubber then the tyre is worn out

Brian

I wrote to Dunlop and asked this question:
"Where do you measure tread depth? Is it on top of tread wear indicator, or, deepest part of used tread?"

Dunlop's reply:
"Recommend you stick the tire in 3 different places.
This should give you a good tread depth.

If you are unable to determine the tread depth, stop in at a reputable dealer for assistance.

Should you need further information or assistance, please call Dunlop Consumer Affairs @ 800-845-8378 "

I guess I have to call them.

Haven't had time to call so, I emailed them again with this:

"As nice as your reply is... It doesn't give me an answer "where"."

Dunlop's reply:

"Tread wear indicators (TWI) are located in 6 - 8 areas around the tire's tread in the tread channels. TWI's are 1/32 of an inch (1/32") in height. When the tread is worn flush to the TWI, the tire must be replaced by federal standards. Dunlop recommends replacement of the tire when there is 2/32" of tread remaining. At this point, the tire has started to lose it's water evacuation characteristics and should be replaced from a safety standpoint."

Well alrighty then, a solid answer! I'll take it!

Cheers!

It becomes a lb per sq inch thing. Wider tire with same air pressure as narrow tire will have less actual pressure pushing on the pavement as its spread out over a wider contact patch. That's one reason its much easier to spin wider street tires on a car/truck, or a mc.

If you want to increase the traction for either tire you have to let more air out, say 10 % or so will improve the grip as it softens the tire slightly and allows the tire to work better. If you ever take a bike with street tires to a riding course, you'll find that they will lower the air pressure front & back to give the tires some help in doing the turns etc.

This is because lowering the pressure adds more rubber to contact with the road.

Pressure per sq inch on road is inversely proportional to the number of sq inches on the road. On a dry pavement, the more rubber, the more traction. Inflation pressure doesn't change how much the bike weighs, but how widely the weight is distributed in contact with the road. The greater the distribution, the greater the traction (on dry pavement).

What are the chicken strips ? i have 5200 on my 200 mm tire and have maybe 1000 miles left on them .

Let me add both the front and rear only have about another 1000 miles left before they need changed .

What are the chicken strips ? i have 5200 on my 200 mm tire and have maybe 1000 miles left on them .

Chicken strips are the part of the tread to the edge of the tyre that has no wear on it the wider the chicken strip the more chicken the rider is
in my younger day when meeting in a group other riders would check your tyres to determin how good a rider you were by the width of your chicken strip
However they could also determin if you were some sort of nut case to avoid

Brian

LOL ok now I have to look at mine

If you want to look like some really skilled rider in front of the bar just reduce the tyre pressure till the tyre is flat across the whole tread and ride for a mile on the road it should put a wee bit of wear right out to the edge
my tyres are a wee bit weird as i have no chicken strip on the front and about 1/4" on the back but i have no intention of trying to get rid of the ones at the back as i would be off on the front

Brian

Back