free website stats program Rear tire | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Rear tire

Rear tire wear is directly related to the use of right handle bar grip. The more you use grip the less mileage you get.....:) I usally average 8000-9000 miles and tire is at 3/32 when I change it...

Wow, you guys must be "spirited" riders. On 2 D402s, I got 15k on each one, 2 up over half the time for each. I agree that stretching a tire on a trip is just asking to get "held up" by who ever has a tire that you NEED that day. Ridding locally most of the time, you can wait just a little longer. And, I believe I read somewhere that the wear bars on MC tires are at 1/32. Car tires are 2/32 unless I am confused.

just had my rear changed. Opted to run Myrtle Beach and back as it wasn't down to the wear bars yet. First to not pick up a nail in 5 years. What I did experience was the feeling that it was low on air but it wasn't. Any uneven, rutted or cracks in the pavement made it feel like it was low on air. Was starting to look at the rear suspension (bike has 98'000 on it), But had the rear tire changed and that problem went totally. I won't go that far again.

I've got a little over 14,000 miles on my back tire and just ordered a new one a few days ago (not from my dealer). I ride solo and don't get crazy with the throttlle on a consistent basis and do mostly Hiway riding. I've currently got about 1/32 left and probably should have done it at 3/32 but was convinced by someone that it'd be o.k. assuming I wasn't running into rain. I can't wait to get the new one on though. Better safe than sorry. I won't have that "what if" in the back of my mind while riding once its changed. Better to do it sooner than later. I won't wait as long next time.

Back