free website stats program Rear Tire Removal | Harley Davidson Forums

Rear Tire Removal

bwalsh22

I put this together when I did my wide tire kit. Pretty simple and straight forward, as always, get a manual and refer to your manual for specs and details.

REAR TIRE REMOVAL
You do not need to mess with wheel alignment when you remove and install a rear wheel.

Pretty simple to do. If you need stuff out of the manual to read ahead of time, send me an e-mail.

Jack the bike up till the bottom of the tire is just ready to leave contact with the ground. Make sure the bike is strapped down (when the wheel comes off, all the weight will shift to the front of the bike). Remove rear axle nut and the clip from the left side of the axle. Remove Lower shock bolts. Pull axle. If it has not been off before, you may need to beat it out, Thread axle nut halfway on before you beat on axle. Pay attention to the position of teh wheel spacers so you can put them back correctly when you reinstall the wheel. After axle is out, raise jack and bike. Make sure straps have slack and allow you to raise it. Slide rear caliper off rotor and off caliper guide on swing arm. Slide belt off pulley. Move wheel out from the rear fender.

Basically, the install is the reverse.

Apply a good coating of anti-seize lubricant on rear axle before reinstalling. Try not to get anti-seize on tire. Its messy and can be dangerous.

Make sure all fasteners are torqued to specs.

Use red Loctite on pulley bolts and caliper bolts when you change wheel.

The alignment has not changed using this procedure. Alignment is only necessary if you move the axle adjusters to relieve tension on the drive belt. Dropping the rear shocks accomplishes the same thing without having the do alignment or adjust belt tension.

If you had to remove exhaust in order to remove rear axle, reverse the axle's direction when you reinstall it. Install it from the left to the right side. This will put the axle nut on the right, near the mufflers. Next time you go to remove the axle, you will have plenty of room as the exhaust will no longer be in the way.

Good luck

This is for a Dyna yes. I'm not familiar with the Softail but the same basic principles for lowering apply, just a matter of where the bolts are for the rear shock on the softail.

Yes this is true. A machanic told me the same thing it works great
WAP.gif

Back