free website stats program rear shocks wont adjust | Harley Davidson Forums

rear shocks wont adjust

dieselguy65

Account Removed
anyone have a good method for holding the shock bodies? my left shock adjust fine. right side when turning the adjuster plate the whole shock body want to turn with it. I need to turn them out a turn or so. it rides ok with just me, but gotta take gf this weekend (prolly bout another 125lbs, not gonna ask her)
and last time we made short trip the ride was terrible.
thanks,
Brian

The shock body turning during the adjustment is common and does not affect the adjustment procedure. Even though it seems otherwise, there is no need to hold the shock body during the procedure.

When you are tightening the lock nut you don't want the shock to turn, but other than that it will turn when you are adjusting the shocks.

When you adjust the shocks out on a softail you are lowering the rear, is that really what you want to do?

anyone have a good method for holding the shock bodies? my left shock adjust fine. right side when turning the adjuster plate the whole shock body want to turn with it.
Brian

You can use a strap wrench to hold/turn the shock.

THphWeLljWbFCUE-eE_o8Qg3DGSZUJEsWDaGdsI4BHoudwlqt9CuC3LLDwGAByUnkDA1cMBijNwFjOw-qnop2t_waydAOJgEKzxFn2SeresvOdXq6YHsL2UhWNUrvl-Z4Hhojt6qAB5mS2S5RFz0g0z7KEmcyPH4EygwrC04YNl4kCxGZHRORqcLJklfFy-1SMAACWc4aUDTTp87B9gCRfYKi68

I don't want to tell you what you need to do, but adjusting the shocks out will not increase the spring pressure and will lower the bike giving you less room for the wheel to move.

I don't want to tell you what you need to do, but adjusting the shocks out will not increase the spring pressure and will lower the bike giving you less room for the wheel to move.

Don is right here. You have to compress the shock to give it more spring tension to carry more of a load.

ok, there sems to be a huge problem with how to adjust these. first, thefactory manual says turn the adjuster plates towards the locknut. which from what it seems effectively shortens the shock, so is the manual and whats online wrong?. whch way to turn them is not the question. one shock the plate itself turns, the body stays put. the other the whole body turns. which way is it supposed to work? right now i am leaving it alone.
what i wouldnt give to have the hardtail, shovelhead 4 speed kick start right now

Follow the below link for some recommendations on shock adjustment tools.

Harley Davidson Community

More info...

ok, following those links still shows turning adjusters out towards locknuts to increase preload, and increase load carried by bike. but, the third link leads to a service bulletin or something, and from the drawing on it my shocks are on backwards, as would be every softail i have looked at. my adjusters plates are towards the rear. the diagram shows them being towards the front, engine end of bike?
makes things even more confusing.
I been turning wrenches for years, and hate to say it but have never ran into so much conflicting info as i have when it comes to any model of HD.

In my experiences the adjusters have been in the front of the shock towards the engine.

Did you buy the bike new or from someone else?

Back