free website stats program Rear Rocker Box Leak | Harley Davidson Forums

Rear Rocker Box Leak

J

Jack Klarich

I noticed a few drops of oil coming from the right rear of the rear rocker box, it never leaked before. Under warranty I took it in, the tech said the bolts were not torqued right from the factory and he has seen it before HMMMMMM I wonder it has not leaked since so i dunno been turning wrenches all my life and I would think it would have leaked right away not @ 12,000 miles

Did they re-torque the bolts or take the cover off and put in a new gasket to fix it properly or

they all do that? ;)

I thought Harley took care of the vibrating apart. Expansion and contraction I would blame.......
And as to the explanation of not torqued right from factory I guess the calibrated automatic torque wrench that may have been used by a robot was having a bad day. So what's the story with the rest of the bolts they were torqued at the same time right?:rolleyes:

No new gasket, I do not understand why, but I have No leak yet time will tell

No new gasket, I do not understand why, but I have No leak yet time will tell
When the dealer can correct problem by making a adjustment and no part is needed, then dealer does not have to file a warranty claim which raises dealer collecting more warranty dollars from H.D. which is a bad thing. How I know is, as a Ex. H.D. service advisor the dealer is put in a position to spend as little as possible of H.D. money.

When the dealer can correct problem by making a adjustment and no part is needed, then dealer does not have to file a warranty claim which raises dealer collecting more warranty dollars from H.D. which is a bad thing. How I know is, as a Ex. H.D. service advisor the dealer is put in a position to spend as little as possible of H.D. money.

Pretty sad when the almighty dollar stands in the way of quality craftsmanship! :(

I would like to think that expansion and contraction due to heat and cooling could be a cause of a bolt loosening slightly and perhaps a wee bit of vibration thrown in for good measure as I am sure the engine still vibrates when on rubber mounts you just wont feel it
I would have replaced the gasket had it been me but at times I am a wee bit particular about how things are done

Brian

I'm gonna play the devil's advocate here, if they we're properly torqued during assembly heating and cooling of the engine should not affect the torque value.

I've been around engines all my life and never heard of such a thing. My money's on they were never torqued properly and other scoots on the same assembly line are having the same issue.

Brian's right, they should have replaced the gasket.

Pretty sad when the almighty dollar stands in the way of quality craftsmanship! :(

I was a service manager at a Cadillac dealer years back and we would bend over backwards for our customer. I believe in customer service and quality craftsmanship both. The dealer I worked for wouldn't allow us to work on cars that weren't sold at our dealership. Had a very good and rich customer base. Seems like every Harley dealership I've been to the guys in the shop were very personal and willing to help.

I agree that the gasket should have been replaced! My .02!

Back