free website stats program Rear Pully Bolts cracked | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Rear Pully Bolts cracked

I noticed if I hand screw them in they bottom out and the washer is still loose. to tighten them you have to really torque them . I am waiting to see what American Wire Wheel says. If they tell me there are bolts made by them for that install I will be asking the dealer why he used the wrong bolts. looks like my wheel is scrap if American wire wheel can't change the hub.

Thanks for the input

There's the reason they sheared. They were bottomed out and you didn't get the clamp load on the pulley. The hub should be replaceable if it is a wire wheel.

Yup. Just waiting to hear from American Wire wheel . Will make them send me an email. Then it's off to start a fight with the dealer. Need a wheel, pully and maybe a swing arm. It got pretty gouged up when the bolt heads hit it .

many yrs ago i bought a cci pully cover,, dont ask me what i was thinkin at the time -- cci--- and with the cover came the bolts-- every one of em sheared off under normal riding conditions with in 400-800 miles.......... almost embarasses me to say i bought a cci product-- with the experience on this board-- im sure yall will agree.......

Part of the problem as Glider eluded to is the threaded boss may have a sharp corner or bottomed out the bolts used, or had no "radiused" corner so the head is easier to shear if not or prevented from being properly torqued. Just something to keep in mind besides the obvious which is...are those fasteners the ones recommended for the rear pulley and are they new ones (like flywheel bolts in automotive...some manufacturers recommend replacing the bolts as they are "prestressed (stretched) under high torque) and even hardened bolts in certain areas are recommended NOT to be reused due to the critical nature of the application. Just my 2 cents...

Last edited:
Back