free website stats program Rear Cylinder Shut Down Squeak | Harley Davidson Forums

Rear Cylinder Shut Down Squeak

nester024

When the motor enters rear cylinder shut down mode sitting at idle in hot weather (which is getting increasingly prevalent here in So. Florida) it emits a nasty squeak which sounds to be in sync with the motor turning. I have had exhaust squeaks before which were fixed by greasing the mounts under the saddlebags, this is not the issue here.

I have read somewhere else on this site that there is some kind of valve which can squeak like this, perhaps that's the issue? I'm perplexed, is it worth bringing it to the dealer for a warranty issue? In a pack, the brother sitting next to me in traffic gets quite annoyed by this noise.

Thanks for answering all my questions today Glider, clearly I'm missing something as the first thread you pointed me to here I started myself, and that's where I learned to grease my exhaust mounts. I think I'll have to try and get the bike hot and dismount so I can hear where the sound is coming from.

...clearly I'm missing something as the first thread you pointed me to here I started myself, and that's where I learned to grease my exhaust mounts. I think I'll have to try and get the bike hot and dismount so I can hear where the sound is coming from.

I was indicating you have a squeaky bike :lolrolling

Best way to find the noise is to track it down when it's doing it.

Is there such an animal that squeaks on a valve closing, as to re-fire the dead cylinder that was sitting at idle?

Can you bring in a download-able PDF manual to see maybe the engine parts?

I think it's more the imbalanced engine causing the squeak than anything else.

They shake enough on two cylinders and when it cuts one out, there is an imbalance that will cause noises that usually aren't heard.

This is quite possible, like most of my questions, the intent is to see if anyone else has experienced a similar problem, if a solution has been found, or if it is something to simply be dealt with.

One thing I have found in my year of riding a Harley that I have not seen in my years of riding dirt bikes, driving cars and trucks and the such is the level of attentiveness myself and we few dedicated individuals have towards the subtle nuances of our machines. Every little tick and inconsistency I feel the need to find the cause of and solution to. Frankly, it keeps me quite occupied and thoughly entertained.

Back