free website stats program Rear break problem | Harley Davidson Forums

Rear break problem

Gezzer Glide

Contributor
When I apply the rear break the pedal pulsates and feels mushy and the wheel will not lock.I tried bleeding breaks. No difference. Rebuilt the caliper. No difference. What's left? The master cylinder....Working on a 03 FLHT

Possibly the rotor? It could offer that sensation. Perhaps check all bolts on the rotor first.

My front rotors warped....same symptons as you. replaced them both. i have fought air in the brake system on Harleys before. the front is simple, you can losen the master cylinder cover and tie the lever to the bar overnight. lets the air climb up out of the system. rear would be more of a challenge, i would think you need to get the caliper lower than the master cylinder for this to work.

If the brake is pulsating most likely the rotor is warped if it feels mushy and brake will not lock the wheel then either there is air in the system or the master cylinder seals are failing or a wee bit of both
It is best not to take chances with brakes
If it were mine i would check the rotor and replace and rebuild the master cylinder

Brian

Sounds like a warped rotor . jack the bike up and spin the wheel and lay something straight close to the rotor that way you can see were its warped at.

I agree with Brian, sounds like multiple issues. Proper bleeding should rid you of the "mushy" feeling. If not the MC may need a rebuild. Pulsating is probably a direct sensation from rotor being warped.

If you can get the rear wheel off the ground you can hold your finger close to the rotor. Bracing your hand so it doesn't move around. Give the wheel a spin and you should see the distance between your finger and rotor vary. You could also tie wrap something so it is close to the face of the rotor and achieve the same thing. Crude, but it will give you an idea.

Surprisingly, if the compensator port in the master cylinder is going bad it will give you a bad feel plus it can cause the brakes to pulsate, the best check for out of round rotor would be a dial indicator, any thing above .005 run out I would think to replace it plus new pads

Back