free website stats program Rear brake | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Rear brake

I have the original brake lines on my '86 FXRS, and the brakes are fine. Many new pads and a rebuilt rear master cylinder over the years, but the lines are fine.

I have the original brake lines on my '86 FXRS, and the brakes are fine. Many new pads and a rebuilt rear master cylinder over the years, but the lines are fine.

Define "fine" have you looked inside the jackets or are you just going from the looks of the outside casings. Try bending the line and look at the cracks that appear.

23 years old for a brake line is OLD and especially if you weigh out the possibilities of one bursting when you need it most. I would think my life is worth more than the cost of a new brake line after 23 years on the bike.

Along with Glider's comment, inspect the fittings and metal bits for rust or corrosion. Chrome has a tendency to "hide" the damaging effects of corrosive water/brake fluid mix, especially if you do not "flush" your brake lines every 2-3 years with a simple turkey baster, clear tubing and a jar...how easy is that and how often do we forget this simple flush? Look at your fluid, if it is not almost clear yellow (DOT3/4) or medium purple (DOT5) it is TIME!

Last edited:
23 years old for a brake line is OLD and especially if you weigh out the possibilities of one bursting when you need it most. I would think my life is worth more than the cost of a new brake line after 23 years on the bike.

Good point. I've just assumed that the lines were ok, as I've never experienced any "softness" in the braking, nor noticed any swelling while applying pressure to the lever. It's never been about the cost of changing them, just about a "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" attitude. But as you say, it could be "broke" and I don't know it.

OK, now you've got me worried!

Back