free website stats program REAR brake pedal not releasing when it's cold out | Harley Davidson Forums

REAR brake pedal not releasing when it's cold out

Bedrock

I'm just starting to get my first few days riding in colder weather & the rear brake pedal won't raise up again after I've released it. It's normal again when it's hot out but it's staying down when it's cold to the point I have to put my foot under it to get it to raise back up as if I was upshifting. Any thoughts what's causing this and what I can do to rectify it?

You may try cleaning the caliper pistons and lube the slide pins, crack the bleeder screw, see if there is pressure in the caliper, if there is the master cylinder may need to be rebuilt or replaced

My 2012 Fat Bob had a similar symptom with the forward shifter, it would get stuck down when I downshifted, and get stuck up when I upshifted. My first thought was return spring in tranny broke but it was merely the shift lever shaft binding up in its bore. (I'm talking about the forward controls here, no where near the tranny). All I had to do was remove the shift lever and shaft, clean it and the bore up, grease it up good, and put it back together. Whole process took only 15 minutes or so. Maybe you'll get lucky and it will be a similar situation with the brake shaft. I figure either it never was greased because it's not part of the assembly process at the factory or if it was greased, it got washed out from rain and washing. I packed that sucker full of wheel bearing grease and it works better than new now and no shop monkey had to scratch up my bike! Yay! If it doesn't work out this way for you, I agree with Jack! he's the MAN!

YEP,

You should be able to FEEL if it is tight at the brake lever when you pull/push it. (down and up)

More than likely, lubing will loosen it and take care of the sticking when COLD.:guitar

I'd try a spray to get it Lubed-loose.

signed....BUBBIE

I'm just starting to get my first few days riding in colder weather & the rear brake pedal won't raise up again after I've released it. It's normal again when it's hot out but it's staying down when it's cold to the point I have to put my foot under it to get it to raise back up as if I was upshifting. Any thoughts what's causing this and what I can do to rectify it?

Just a thought here, every where here in Florida it seems the sand and salt in the air, Try some penetrating oil and work it good up and down on the pedal where the pedal meets the shaft, If this works follow it up by dis assembly of pedal and clean up the shaft, apply some water proof grease:D

update: so, over the weekend I didn't ride but did check out the brake pedal & it was still a little sticky but was working. Then, this morning I went out to spray some wd40 but before I did the brake pedal was absolutely fine w/ no unusual resistance. I sprayed a bit of wd40 anyway.

I still can't figure what was giving me the temporary problem but a friend of mine is going to look at it this week to see what might've caused it. Will keep you guys posted.

Riding in Fl with the fine sand and salt, I take the brake pedel off and clean and grease the ID of the pedel and the shaft. I use a waterproof grease. WD40 is good but not a replacement for a good grease.

Riding in Fl with the fine sand and salt, I take the brake pedel off and clean and grease the ID of the pedel and the shaft. I use a waterproof grease. WD40 is good but not a replacement for a good grease.

Cheers. Any particular grease you would recommend?

I use a marine grade grease, think I got it at AutoZone.

Back