free website stats program Rear Brake Line | Harley Davidson Forums

Rear Brake Line

Hi All,

Out for a ride the other day and lost the rear brake. Made it home okay. At home I checked it out and saw brake fluid leaking from around the front floor board mount. Took the line off and found a area on the line that must have been rubbing against the mount. So time for a new brake line.

I ordered one made by Twin Power thru JP Cycle. It was supposed to fit my 2005 Ultra. It does not fit. I checked with several Harley dealers and found no one has it in stock ... all said it was on back order from Harley. Most dealers said available in July with one telling me October. I am down until I either find another one or the back order is over.

Has anyone had this problem and found something other than stock that fits. The Twin Power one has a big junction block that will not fit in the space where the stock junction block fits.

Thanks for your help,

Steve

Thanks Jeff ... I did check with them yesterday. Same story ... on back order until early July. I just got reply from Grand Junction Harley. They have one. I ordered it today.

Thanks Steve

Hi All,

I received the new brake line Friday. Put it on yesterday. It fits like the original one so no problem installing it. Harley must have known the original one ... with the steel line from the master cylinder to the brake light junction block ... was a poor design. The way it fit allowed it to rub on the floor board mount. It took it a while to rub thru (80K miles in my case) but it did. The original steel line had a plastic sheath similar to a wire loom covering near the floor board mount. My guess is Harley installed it knowing of the possibility of damage.

The new line is flexible and allowed me to route it away from possible damage. I also covered the part that could rub with a short section of rubber gas line.

I suggest anyone who has a 2005 touring model to check the line from the master cylinder down past the floor board for damage. I'm sure other years have the same possibility.

Steve

Back