free website stats program Rear Belt Life? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Rear Belt Life?

I wish I could remember the article about drive systems. Said belts do wear, but should last 35,000 + miles. Where you ride is a big factor. The number one item listed for belt wear and failure was tension. A loose belt will wear at a greater rate than a slightly too tight. Bottom line was to keep the belt at or near the manufacturers specs.

Correct me if I am wrong (I'm sure someone will) but a drivebelt,while being nowhere near the composition of a fanbelt will suffer the same fate if overtightened,the stretching will break it down because it still has a nylon cord and that will lead to premature failure

I wish I could remember the article about drive systems. Said belts do wear, but should last 35,000 + miles. Where you ride is a big factor. The number one item listed for belt wear and failure was tension. A loose belt will wear at a greater rate than a slightly too tight. Bottom line was to keep the belt at or near the manufacturers specs.

Correct me if I am wrong (I'm sure someone will) but a drivebelt,while being nowhere near the composition of a fanbelt will suffer the same fate if overtightened,the stretching will break it down because it still has a nylon cord and that will lead to premature failure
Steve, you are right. If the belt is overtightened, it will weaken and stretch (somewhat, because today belts are better engineered) the belt as well as add increased lateral force to pulleys, bearings and such.
Notice I said slightly. And I stated "Bottom line was to keep the belt at or near the manufacturers specs".
I probably didn't state things correctly. A more than little loose belt will wear and fail prematurely. I think (but not sure) that an excessively loose belt can cause cupping and wear on the rear sprocket. Due to it not pulling around the sprocket with equal force/tension. Think of a bicycle sprocket and loose chain.
I apologize for not stating my ideas properly.:(
We'll meet at Lew's for the treaty signing.

Right on Smitty...I remember the big controversy when HD changed to the "new" belt drive system. Popular Mechanics amongst others hailed it, and most HD purists poo-poo'd it as rubbish. They were the same critics with backwards thinking that did not like change (while HD almost went under) including disc brakes, electric starter, electronic ignition or any other positive techno advances. Let development evolve and don't force it, conservative and smart engineering will rule the day.

Well, maybe I'll hold off for a bit. No need rushing it. I am glad to hear many have gone as far as they have.

I do have chrome beltguards, so I'll just keep checking it.

Ride Safe!

Back