free website stats program Really in a Jam but happy to be a new member - Need a Motor | Harley Davidson Forums

Really in a Jam but happy to be a new member - Need a Motor

mhudson1076

So I am at a point where I am looking to either re-build my 97 sportster motor or try to sell and get a different bike. Does anyone have any recommendations on where I can get a good rebuilt motor? Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

I don't believe they offer an engine exchange through that program for the sportster. However, everything I've looked into suggests that a rebuild can be as much as 2-3 thousand. Depending on how much of a basket case the engine is. If you are in a position to get a new/used bike, I would suggest doing that unless you really love your sporty and want to keep her. If you can't afford a new bike now, then a rebuild is not a bad thing. Now is the time to add some Screamin Eagle parts as long as they have her open. You didnt say if she was an 883, but if so you can upgrade to the 1200 now. Let us know what you decide, and welcome to HDtalking

Maybe describe how it ran before it went bad.. Go into detail and let us understand just what happened.. If it is Long term bad or a little something that went bad..
You know, give us the Skinny of it..:D

Then maybe we'll be able to help..

signed....BUBBIE

Ebay:D There's a bunch of 1200 motors on there that can be had for $1500 or less. You didn't mention if you had an 883 or 1200, but they can be had on there.

If you have an 883 defiantly upgrade to the 1200 even if it's all stock . Like others have said this would be the time to add SE parts .

Ebay:D There's a bunch of 1200 motors on there that can be had for $1500 or less. You didn't mention if you had an 883 or 1200, but they can be had on there.

One Caution.....

This is good to hear BUT being careful of the THIEFT Rings is important..

Why I ask the problem with your s and HOW Much damage , Is needed to see IF you can repair/rebuild your motor might be better.... IF ???
Your engine numbers match the bike and IF you want to sell it later or IF if gets PULLED OVER the first thing they will check is the frame and Maybe the engine to see iF you are Good EGG or Not..

Better to rebuild your own First... Maybe?

What ever you do IF You change out the engine Make Sure It isn't stolen and Do the paper work to change the numbers with your Licensing state dept. for your Record there.

Just another thought too many.

signed....BUBBIE

Excellent observation Bubbie and I couldn't agree with you more. Unfortunately Ebay doesn't do a good enough job of policing stolen goods on their site.

With that being said, I personally wouldn't buy a motor without at least a bill of sale from the current owner and copy of the title and/or a title for the "motor only" which can be obtained from most state motor vehicle agencies.

Other parts aren't so easy to identify as being stolen or not due to the lack of a serial # that can be traced.

Back