free website stats program Really confused! Help! | Harley Davidson Forums

Really confused! Help!

jrpdash9

Hi guys,

1991 883 xlh. Intermittent no spark. Seems random.

One day it will be fine and the next it will start and run for a min and shut down

I have replaced the pickup in the side of the engine, also replace the circuit breakers and wires (needed them)

It seems on nice sunny days it will run fine but on colder wet days, have issues. (At least I could not replicate it on a warm day, even with dumping water on everything)

Like this morning (66 and has been raining), turn the key, little choke. Started great no issues. Ran for about a min and shut off with no spark.

Other times it will just crank with no spark.

When it is running I see 14.xxx volts at the battery at a fast Idle and have no had a dead battery in the 3 years I have owned it.

I need advice on where To look next.

Hi guys,

1991 883 xlh. Intermittent no spark. Seems random.

One day it will be fine and the next it will start and run for a min and shut down

I have replaced the pickup in the side of the engine, also replace the circuit breakers and wires (needed them)

It seems on nice sunny days it will run fine but on colder wet days, have issues. (At least I could not replicate it on a warm day, even with dumping water on everything)

Like this morning (66 and has been raining), turn the key, little choke. Started great no issues. Ran for about a min and shut off with no spark.

Other times it will just crank with no spark.

When it is running I see 14.xxx volts at the battery at a fast Idle and have no had a dead battery in the 3 years I have owned it.

I need advice on where To look next.

not an expert on this but sounds like a bad / corroded ground, might want to check them all. them them a tug see if they are hard fastened or full of corrosion.... good luck

I had checked for all the grounds.

I put a spark tester on it today and I'm only getting a yellowish orange flame. Called the local Harley shop and was told I is meant to be a bluish flame. I think the coil is weak.

Using the R X 1 scale the primary resistance should be 2.5 to 3.1
Using the R X 1K scale the secondary resistance should be 10.000 to 12,500
This test is for newer single fire coils but it will give you an idea if your coil is bad, you may also test your ignition module

Back