free website stats program rattling pipes | Harley Davidson Forums

rattling pipes

gunnut

Gujys,I have great sounding screaming eagle balony cut pipes on my bike,There is a very annoying metalic kind of rattle in one of them,is there anything I can check out/fix to get rid?Dont want to hear" get new pipes" these cost me an arm and leg.Thanks,may the great god HARLEY ever vibrate under you.

Are the baffles adjustable or removeable??How d you do that?Also,thanks Hobbit,I'll check the other stuff in the morning before I go to Ilfracombe.

Look at the rear end of the muffler/pipe to see if there are bolts that would hold in a baffle. If there is, remove them (2 or 3) and the baffle should pull out with some loud grunting. You may just have to peen the ends of the baffle to open them up just a bit so they will fit a bit tighter into the pipe/muffler and reinstall the securing bolts. Don't open them up too much , just a tad or you will not get them back in again.

Some systems have removable baffles and others don't.

sometimes the heat shields that cover the header pipes can cause this sound. A loose hose clamp or the little tabs the clamp goes over can break loose from the shield itself. Good luck.

Back