free website stats program Rain/Thunder/Hail/Tornado Strategies? | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Rain/Thunder/Hail/Tornado Strategies?

I don't have rain gear. If it starts to rain I get off the road for 1/2 hour or so to let the road get washed off, becuase if you ride in the mountians in western N.C. the roads get very slick till the ground in oil gets washed off. I've rode in hail and didn't like it. Around here we have varing winds that will blow ypu off the road. Just come on spring and let me get caught in a rain hail storm.:newsmile020::newsmile09:

If it starts to rain find a bridge or something else to sit under for a while.riding when a rain has just started is the most dangerous the oils come out of the road and its like riding on an oil slick ,if it doesn't look like it is going to let up put on your rain gear and get to a place where you can be comfortable as Smitty recomended.Riding long distances in rain ,hail and shear force winds is no fun!That I do know:(

What's a good rule of thumb for waiting for the accumulated gunk to get washed off the road? 30 minutes? I guess a lot of it depends on how hard it's raining, when was the last time it rained, etc. Is there some magic thing you can look for visually to know the road is just wet and not oily too?

General Rule of thumb as i have heard it many time 30-45 mins also look and see if you see white foam in the wheel ruts usually oil

It rains every day in Florida I ride every day I slow down if it rains too hard or there is lightning I seek shelter

rain whats rain :D last storm i rode in had visibility down so far the Mway was down to 40mph - and muppet boy here did not have his waterproof trousers on as it had been loverly earlier with no warnings of storms on the TV, but the works METoffice link suggested storms :( when i pulled over to get off the road the bike sat there in a huge cloud of Steam everyone thought it had blown up or the radiator had sprung a leak telling them it was air cooled was so funny, seriously tho i like many in the UK do not stop riding when it starts raining

Hobbits the only guy I know of with a liquid cooled Ultra lol.

Ditto 100% on this one.
I don't leave the house on the scooter if the "chance of precipitation" on the weather channel is over 30%. Sorry if that sounds wimpy fellas, but I have three kids and a wife who need me.
If and when I do get caught in a downpour, especially one that looks like it's gonna last a while, or one that is truly severe, I pull under the nearest shelter and wait it out. I have even called a riding brother to come get me with his trailer rather than ride home in a thunder-boomer, and I would do the same for any of the boys who would call me.
If I'm too far from home to do that, I get myself off the road to a safe place to park, and then get to the nearest warm and dry place, (preferably a motel), where I can take a hot shower, dry out my clothes, watch the tube for a while, order some room service food, even take a nap. Stay overnight if necessary. But mostly, stay ALIVE.
It doesn't prove anything about you to ride through a dangerous situation. It only proves you're foolhardy and thoughtless about the people who love you and need you alive and well, for them, if not for yourself.

That's my kind of logic.

On my last trip, if we had waited out the rain we would still be Loiusville. It rained (hard) every day from Savanna, IL to Ocean City, MD. Sometimes ya just got to push through it.

I got a little bit of experience riding in the rain this summer. :p

Somedays you just need to keep going. Things that help:

1) A top quality rain suit
2) Waterproof boots or pull-over boot chaps
3) Full or 3/4 helmet with face shield
4) Some form of anti-fog for the face shield (top priority)
5) waterproof gloves

As long as you can see (and be seen), and any oil has been washed away, riding in the rain is a piece of cake.

However, watch the lane markings closely. A lot of these are not paint, but a vinyl like material that is veeeerrrry slick when wet. Any metal items are like ice when wet, so watch RR crossings, manhole covers, road construction steel plates, etc. You do not want to brake or turn if your wheels are on these as it is almost a guaranteed slip-n-slide. Approach and cross these items as close to 90 degrees as possible.

Keep out of puddles to prevent hydroplaning. If your tires are thin, they won't be able to clear a path through the water and hydroplaning becomes more likely.

Maintain a safety margin to everyone around you, and get off the road if visibility gets marginal. You're hard enough to see in clear weather. Another reason for a brightly colored rainsuit.

In the end, you have to feel comfortable. If you do not, get off the road.

Rain is part of riding. Many times you can look ahead at the clouds and if you see some blue sky in the direction you are going, probably won't bother with the rain gear. If it's dark and you can see the rain, put the gear on earlier - it's easier.

I try to avoid thunderstorms but sometimes you can't. Since I rarely ride on freeways, there usually aren't many bridges to hide under so, look for a gas station, motel, old drive in restaraunt and even sometimes a hay barn (some farmers get a little testy on that one). Sometimes you just have no choice but ride on. Hail hurts!

Back