free website stats program Radio Reception (2011 FLHTK) | Harley Davidson Forums

Radio Reception (2011 FLHTK)

dolce

I had the tour-pac detach kit installed on my ultra limited by a dealer a few months ago. Every since then the radio reception has been almost nonexistent when the radio coax is connected to the relocated antenna. Seems to work normal when attached to the tour-pac so I'm wondering if there is a grounding problem with the relocation kit. As far as I can tell there is no isolation of the mount from the frame but I don't know if that is necessary or not. Any advice is appreciated.
WAP.gif

The antenna wire is a coax cable like you said. The center conductor is the antenna wire. The outer metal barrel is the shield. Disconnect the antenna wire from the radio. Perform a basic test of the antenna and antenna wire,,, Using an ohm meter you should have a reading of infinity (20 meg scale) between the outer metal portion of the connector (shield) and the center conductor. Then measure between the center conductor of the wire and the actual whip portion of the antenna (if it's not rubber coated), you should read zero to near zero ohms.
Try that & see what you get.

Back