free website stats program quicksilver II question. | Harley Davidson Forums

quicksilver II question.

i am having a carb problem and with the help of this forum i know i can fix it. but i have 2 quicksilver II carbs with the highest needle 17-0. this needle is working for my xv750 (virago v-twin) will this needle work for a 1200? do i need to go bigger?
also the quicksilver is a 38mm is this too small?
i know all there is to know about the quick silver but nothing about the carb on the engine now.
i even hooked up 2 quicksilvers with a 13-0 needle in both. engine ran strong until the home made throttle cable broke. this was also done on my xv750.
i get alot of flack about the quicksilver II carbs but i just love them.
just asking if this would be a good carb to install and use or not? if so what needle do you recommend in me using? thanks for any help.
here is a pic of the xv750 with the quicksilver on it...........dan

Attachments

• eyeball fingers new 013.jpg
    eyeball fingers new 013.jpg
    201 KB · Views: 12
Last edited by a moderator:
I know nothing of the Quick Silver but isn't the carb. on a 1200 XL a 40mm throat? Why do you want to change it out?
tourbox

if you say it is a 40mm then i do not want to change it out..
i am soo far in debt in buying this bike that i thought i could save some money until i could afford a carb kit for the carb on the engine now by using a QS II.. the needles are only $15.00 where a carb kit is going to be in the hundreds (i assume).
when i bought the QS II's i bought them under the harley section. again i assumed that the QS II was a plug and play for the harley engine just needed the correct needle.
thank you for the 40mm info. this makes installing the QS II a bust. guess i will put the harley away til spring and worry about a kit during winter time...........dan

Bikers Choice( Tucker Rocky) have rebuild kits for 88-06 XL's for about $18.00. Asst. float bowl gaskets ,accel. pump, etc. If you have an independent shop near by they should be able to get you one from their suppliers.
tourbox

Quicksilvers for HD are usually shipped with a #16 needle, you can get up to #20 needles for them. IMO they are not a good choice for a Harley engine. They were an upgrade from the Lectron needle/ slide carb with basic 1 tuning circuit. IMO I would seek out a CV carb and hot rod it there are many out there and they are easy to tune

Jack Klarich
you are correct. they just have a needle adjustment. there are no jets or needle to shim. i do like the carb on the engine now due to it having a accelerator pump. the QS did have this but i do not own one. it maybe the QS III.
the bike is put away so i may just go ahead and remove the carb and get a rebuild kit for it (with a new boot). rebuild the carb over the winter and have it ready to install in the spring.
i am not liking the idea of the carb on the engine now being a 40mm and the QS II being a 38mm. i dont want to go down in size.
i got the answers i was looking for. keep the carb and sell the QS II's :D. sounds like a plan. thank you all for your knowledge and help...........dan

Back