free website stats program Questions for Glider and/or anyone else here | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Questions for Glider and/or anyone else here

I just replaced a battery in my old bike, no warning that it was going to go from the last ride, next ride nothing, so I charge it, check the connections, put a meter on it and see I got 12+, turn on the lights and volts drop down, the hit the run switch, hit the starter and click click click. New battery and purring like a kitten!

BillBo
You do not say how old your battery is?
But all 3 questions is yes, replace battery. JMO but if a battery is more than 3 years old & is drained to need a jump, I replace it not worth the hassle. If battery is fairly new look for other problems. I check as many connections as I can a couple of times a year. I am fortunate enough to be able to ride most of the year.

thanks gmurdock and all the others for answers to my questions. If you will allow me another --- the bike has one of those oil temp gauge dipsticks - with a sticker going around it on the gauge saying to check oil levels on jiffy stand. I assume this is an aftermarket item and the manual says to check it upright and to make sure the oil registers on the dipstick (factory stick I guess) --- it also states to make sure oil is visible at the weld on the filler tube. The temp gauge dipstick is no swivel type and metal, not plastic, and about 3-4 inches long (not looking at it now trying to remember).
Which of these three methods should I be using to check engine oil levels?

PS- about my initial questions and concerns in this thread - the HD shop I bought the bike from said I have the extended warranty and the service dept would come get the bike and bring it back to work on it. NOW - is this a good thing or bad thing? Honest question due to what I have heard of "service" costing others at HD Dealer's shops. Maybe it would be covered by the waranty and this will become a moot point.

Bill

thanks gmurdock for your answers. please see also my post #14. Im still trying to learn this forum procedures - I think I was not logged on - I did not see the "quick reply" button.

Bill

If you will allow me another --- the bike has one of those oil temp gauge dipsticks - with a sticker going around it on the gauge saying to check oil levels on jiffy stand. I assume this is an aftermarket item and the manual says to check it upright and to make sure the oil registers on the dipstick (factory stick I guess) --- it also states to make sure oil is visible at the weld on the filler tube. The temp gauge dipstick is no swivel type and metal, not plastic, and about 3-4 inches long (not looking at it now trying to remember).
Which of these three methods should I be using to check engine oil levels?
ALSO - I checked the battery voltage - 12.12 sitting - and 8.7 with switch turned on.

Billbo

If in doubt refer to your owners manual. I believe on the earlier softails it is checked straight up (not on the stand) This changed in later years with the use of a different stick which I believe is longer to compensate for the lean of the bike.

Next time you do an oil change to verify it for yourself, add the recommended oil quantity and check the oil level on the stick on the stand , then stand it up straight and see the difference. Once you find which is correct remove the sticker if it is wrong.

Back