free website stats program Question for Americans (I see quite a few around here...) | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Question for Americans (I see quite a few around here...)

I would try an automatic, Doubt I would get one though like others here I also enjoy the shifting and having control with the clutch and going through the gears, just seems like a natural part of riding a motorcycle.

There I something about powerful sound of the Rev just before you change gears. I'm keeping things just the way they are. Not to mention saving your breaks by being able to down shift.

I prefer to shift the gears. Auto transmissions may work for some people, but for me, upshifting and downshifting is a big part of the fun in riding.

While shifting cars seems old fashioned Ill keep my tractor type transmission on my bike:D

Quite honestly autotrans technology works just like throttle by wire. It should be if introduced, as an option, as it likely will be "savoir faire" in 10 years on motorcycles as EFI and ABS are becoming now. And coming from me who likes the bare knuckles 2004 Sporty...did I just say that...I really am old fashioned and love the "old" tech...!

Some remarks to use for the discussion:
  • Nowadays automatic gears for bikes are simply... amazing! They are coupled with a choice of electronic mapping and if you choose the "sport" map... all professional testers didn't miss the traditional gear!
  • You can always choose to change "manually", but the testers suggest to use the automatic gear, that is way better!
  • The most critical thing, the engine braking, seems no longer a problem in newer auto gears: it's present at a normal level and the gear shifts down very quickly, even faster than a man, when braking in emergency.
  • Last but not least, using an automatic gear saves the upper part of the left shoe (for those who don't have a footboard) :s

Please keep discussing about it...

I like the manual transmission. I grew up on a farm driving tractors and trucks with manuals. Today, the truck I drive has a manual and I like the bike that way too. I recently looked at new trucks, and had a really hard time finding one with a manual trans. I just decided to keep my old one.

Personally I feel that if you want auto on two wheels then get a scooter. For me its all about being in tune and one with the bike when I ride. To focus on riding and listen and feel how the bike responds to my inputs. Just my two cents.

Didn't Harley try this LONGGGGGGGG ago,,,, The TOPPER, a varied ratio Belt pulley,, changing drive speed with a auto clutch to boot....

I can just SEE Glider on that one..... Haha!

Maybe he WAS!
signed....BUBBIE:D

Didn't Harley try this LONGGGGGGGG ago,,,, The TOPPER, a varied ratio Belt pulley,, changing drive speed with a auto clutch to boot....

I can just SEE Glider on that one..... Haha!

Maybe he WAS!
signed....BUBBIE:D

You making fun of my topper there... signed....BUBBIE?:D

tn241s3.jpg

Back