free website stats program Question about brake calipers | Harley Davidson Forums

Question about brake calipers

TRIPPSTER

My 75 FXE has alot of chatter in the calipers. I was talking to a couple of guys I know that are huge shovel fans. They say that is normal. They are designed to "float" a bit. I kinda find this annoying, I mean with the awesome ride of the bike rattling down the road, the last thing I want is that chatter.

Any advice on this matter of chatter ?
Thanks.

My 75 FXE has alot of chatter in the calipers. I was talking to a couple of guys I know that are huge shovel fans. They say that is normal. They are designed to "float" a bit. I kinda find this annoying, I mean with the awesome ride of the bike rattling down the road, the last thing I want is that chatter.

Any advice on this matter of chatter ?
Thanks.

Seems to me the bushings wear , but you can get new or over sized bushings , are these the Banana calipers? The rear one has a rubber pad that wears out too

Trippster, what did you come up with on your brakes? I'm having a similar noise issue with my 80 FLT in the front but I haven't taken it apart yet. Still trying to figure out what the foam stick on pads applied to the tubes are supposed to do to quiet the calipers down.

K4AF, I didn't figure a thing out. it just stopped. The rear still "bounces" but that is the design. Good luck

The banana calipers on the rear were supposed to float but after a few years they tended to rest on the rotor and the pad pins would get cut through from the rotor. There was a braket with a spring and pad on it that went on the axle and would push up on the caliper preventing the pins from being destroyed. Additionally there was a recall on the 76 models that repalced the bolts, caliper and rotor, the bolts were inferior and would breake when you applied the brakes, of course you then had no brakes(what a rush). As for the front brake I never had or heard of a noise issue other than squeal. I'd check the pins and bolts and pads and replace them if there is any wear.

Back