free website stats program Put a rear tire on the front??? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Put a rear tire on the front???

IMHO one year is way to soon to part with a set. If you have the resources to buy new sets every year because it makes you feel safer then do it, but in reality riders shouldn't start to worry unless the tire is at least 5-6 years old or has high mileage or some kind of noticeable defect (cracks, splits, bulges, bolts, etc) ... TQ, I do respect your personal position on tire replacement and believe that as riders we have to adhere to our own set of rules that make us feel safer and in control every time we lift our leg over our saddle.

I think you may have misunderstood my post above. I was not advocating replacing tires every year, but rather indicating that it is my personal policy not to MOUNT a "new" tire with a manufacture date older than a year. I have returned tires to the Motorcycle Superstore and other distributors that sent me tires that were over a year old when I received them. That is just my own personal policy on the tires I will accept and mount on my bikes.

I do ride my main bike a bunch, so at least the rear probably gets changed out every year just from wear. Usually get two rears for each front based on wear as long as I am sticking with the same manufacturer.

Cheers,

TQ

Yes you are correct read your post incorrectly and that is one of the problems ordering online. You are probably better off calling in your order so they can make a note to check the date stamp when placing the order. I'm most tire stores would do that for you on request and then send the older ones off to those unsuspecting.

A little info on this, I recently spoke with a tire engineer, he told me that tires should actually age about 6 months before being used to let the infused nitriles leach out. He also said that during some processes that a vacuum is applied to the mold in order to speed the cure but not all is removed.

I don't know, it just doesn't make sense! Rear tires are always bigger than the front tires, yes? why would you attempt it?

Back