free website stats program Pump the brakes or... | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Pump the brakes or...

I generally don't down shift to slow the bike but downshift AS it slows. Pads are a lot cheaper than engines.

I pump the brake when on unstable conditions, gravel, slick surfaces, snow, but also if I get in that spot I slow down anyway. I do continue to tap the front brake when stopped to get the attention of the driver comming up from behind, and watch to be sure they see me as I know a couple of riders that have been ran into at a stop. Pumping the brake in a cage can get the person in the back [aka me ] real sick leading to some strange projectile stuff towards the dash:lolrolling

slow down with engine brakeing or downshift as the bike slows more than not.other wise i ride umthe brakes till i stop .. got abs so sure aint pumping them

Last edited:
I generally don't down shift to slow the bike but downshift AS it slows. Pads are a lot cheaper than engines.

I do the same, brakes are a lot cheaper than clutches and gears. But if you must use engine braking when downshifting, you have to have really spot on carburetion/injection and smooth throttle movement to match engine speed to the braking rate and speed otherwise the suspension and handling will suffer especially in a turn...:no

I am old fashioned, I like to look way up the road and let the bike slow itself down, depending on traffic to my rear. I notice that a lot of young drivers drive full bore until 50 feet before they have to stop and then the brakes come on near full lock. Not safe in my opinion.
kemo
I'm with you Kemo. That's the way that I come to a stop. i anticipate:lolrolling the stop sign or road condition up ahead and let the bike slow down gradually. Obviously during panic stops we don't have that luxury.
My wife drives the way you mentioned. She'll come up to a stop sign doing about 35 m.p.h. and then brake hard when she is upon it! Drives me nuts when I ride with her but I've learned not to criticize her driving! That only leads to fights! :lolrolling

I try to look ahead and plan ahead if possible pumping brakes in a cage with non power brakes in the old days but on a bike I dont think so unles you are on and off to keep the wheel from locking and sliding

Back