free website stats program Puking Oil | Harley Davidson Forums

Puking Oil

drhutch

Hope somebody can help me here. I have an S&S 100" motor in my bike. Last week when coming home from ride I noticed when I stopped at a light that a LOT of oil was running out of the air cleaner. Pulled over and checked and I was just about out. It had been a short 15 mile run and I had been running at 65 mph or so. I refilled the oil bag and since have cleaned the air filter (K&N) at the suggestion of a friend but this is still happining. It will blow oil out the breather without the air cleaner on. First time this has happened since I have owned the bike. It has aroung 12K miles and I have changed oil regularly. Engine is running as strong as it ever has and has good compression in both holes. Doesn't appear to be a lot of pressure at the breather port. Any Ideas?
Thanks
Hutch

Oil level too high?

If it is a TC style S&S motor, the oil pump needs to be realigned.

Last edited:
It's an Evo style motor. I changed oil yesterday and ran it for about 15 min in the garage today and it hasn't puked any... yet... Going to take it for a ride and see what happens. I have the oil level in the tank about a half inch down when it is hot. Always have good oil pressure so that's a plus. We shall see....

This bike doesn't have a dipstick (except maybe the owner). It is down from the top of the tank.
Having said that I rode it about 25 miles yesterday and this morning and it has stayed dry, so maybe it was a too full issue. I will ride some more today and hope everything works out.

I took my 1990 FLHS out of storage last night and went over it adjusted clutch, checked oil levels etc (All oils were changed when I put it in storage) I started bike up and it dumped a good bit of oil out of vent tube from engine ( the tube that is supposed to go to carb but I am glad it doesn't) This has happened before when bike sits for longer than a few weeks. How can I prevent this from happening besides not letting the bike sit? I was told it has something to do with a check valve letting oil get back to engine where it has no place to go. Any suggestions?

I took my 1990 FLHS out of storage last night and went over it adjusted clutch, checked oil levels etc (All oils were changed when I put it in storage) I started bike up and it dumped a good bit of oil out of vent tube from engine ( the tube that is supposed to go to carb but I am glad it doesn't) This has happened before when bike sits for longer than a few weeks. How can I prevent this from happening besides not letting the bike sit? I was told it has something to do with a check valve letting oil get back to engine where it has no place to go. Any suggestions?

Sounds like the oil is bypassing the check valve in the pump. Same thing happens on some softails and older sporties are known for this too.

Take a look here.

Oil Pump Check Valve Repair - Harley Davidson Community

Thanks for the good article Glider. I did check around and found some good info on the hose routing and stuff but somehow missed this. I think I will just try to clean it up cause I really don't want to take it all apart as it seems to work and pump good when bike is running.

Could just be some gunk in the valve too, try the old marvel mystery oil trick in the oil but don't overfill it and see what happens, can't hurt any. Put it in before an oil change and run it for about 100 miles then drop the oil and filter and refill it.

The reason you probably missed that article is that I just added it today for you :D

marvel.gif

My fxrs did that the first time I tried to start it after it's 10 year hibernation. Scared me half to death. After running it for a while with a little sea foam in the oil it seemed to clear up.:worthy

Back