free website stats program protecting rear fender with 2 up seat | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

protecting rear fender with 2 up seat

My old 2 up made two marks on the upper portion of the rear fender, even with the rubber grommets. Dirt must have gotten up under the grommets and rubbed the fender pretty good. Luckily, my new solo covers it completely.

I and in the process of buying a rear seat for my Street Bob. Harley sell a bumper kit (4 rubber stickers I believe) for £5 plus VAT, which you stick to the bottom of the seat. If you go to Totem Timber, they sell some 2p size stick on felt pads in a pack of 10 for £1.20

Hi Nelson.
The 4 pads don't do anything and as already mentioned dust and grit get under the seat and blemish the fender. I'm now thinking about the rear fender bib as cover for when i'm solo. Does anyone know if you can put the pillion seat over this bib or do you take it off when 2 up?

Hi Nelson.
The 4 pads don't do anything and as already mentioned dust and grit get under the seat and blemish the fender. I'm now thinking about the rear fender bib as cover for when i'm solo. Does anyone know if you can put the pillion seat over this bib or do you take it off when 2 up?
Swap the bib for the 2-up seat. You will mess up the bib and the seat won't fit right with the bib under it.

Enjoy,
Rich P

The felt pads with adhesive side against the seat MIGHT work; but RibEye's suggestion using a bib in conjunction with the solo seat and removing with the 2-up seat is probably best. The 3M protective film could work also if the contact areas are covered by the bib when the solo seat combo is on. Like I said earlier, the slightest rubbing may act like jewelers' rouch and cause swirls in the paint so adhesive film that does not move but protects is your best bet...but clear film is not "invisible".

The felt pads with adhesive side against the seat MIGHT work; but RibEye's suggestion using a bib in conjunction with the solo seat and removing with the 2-up seat is probably best. The 3M protective film could work also if the contact areas are covered by the bib when the solo seat combo is on. Like I said earlier, the slightest rubbing may act like jewelers' rouch and cause swirls in the paint so adhesive film that does not move but protects is your best bet...but clear film is not "invisible".
I'm afraid that clear film might not be the answer either. It is not meant for pressure, just anti-rubbing. Under pressure, when warmed up, the adhesive will tend to smear. the film will move and the adhesive will wind up all over the place. Don't ask me how I know...

My best luck has been with wide strips of soft leather (I got good 6" strips, one is enough), taken off the bottom of my new overpants when I cut them to length, placed nap side down on the paint, under the seat. I have had no further indications of damage since I started using that. I like my hand-tooled leather bib with my solo seat. It has a nice felt layer sewn t it.

Note: Felt is no good, under rubbing pressure. It feels soft, but it is actually abrasive to clear-coats.

Enjoy,
Rich P

Back