free website stats program primary oil loss | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

primary oil loss

Don, I know with my ride, as soon as the oil level goes near the full line, it starts pulling the excess to the air cleaner and I burn it. Would it be possible to weep 16oz over the course of 500 miles into the intake? The level in the tank would remain flat as long as the primary xfer was slow enough.??

Seems far fetched to me but would it be even possible?

That makes as much sense as anything I can come up with. I would think that you would start fouling plugs with that much oil, but------

I agree that is a Heck of a lot of oil to burn every 500 miles.

Ya know your right. His neighbor is draining his oil at night!:D I believe that one more!

Don, I know with my ride, as soon as the oil level goes near the full line, it starts pulling the excess to the air cleaner and I burn it. Would it be possible to weep 16oz over the course of 500 miles into the intake? The level in the tank would remain flat as long as the primary xfer was slow enough.??

Seems far fetched to me but would it be even possible?

There would be some ugly build up on the plugs with that much oil. If I understand correctly we are talking almost a quart of oil in a liitle over 1700 miles! thats a lot of oil any way you look at it. It is going somewhere. I say keep looking.

I wish it were so! But I haven't any neighbors. And it's always parked indoors or out on the road. I would just as soon go back to puddles on the pavement when parked than this pain in the posterior. I would prefer to use a little more colorful language but I will respect the rules here. Anyway, since I've got it all torn down I will replace the rocker cover gaskets since I know they leak a little. it is almost nice to see an oil leak somewhere. But as for the plugs they look perfect yet with close to 30,000 miles on them and the air cleaner is dry. Pipes show a very clean exhaust. But I have some time yet before riding weather -16 below zero last night.

I wish it were so! But I haven't any neighbors. And it's always parked indoors or out on the road. I would just as soon go back to puddles on the pavement when parked than this pain in the posterior. I would prefer to use a little more colorful language but I will respect the rules here. Anyway, since I've got it all torn down I will replace the rocker cover gaskets since I know they leak a little. it is almost nice to see an oil leak somewhere. But as for the plugs they look perfect yet with close to 30,000 miles on them and the air cleaner is dry. Pipes show a very clean exhaust. But I have some time yet before riding weather -16 below zero last night.

Much appreciated! :)

Ridingagain, with no oil on the outside of the bike I cannot see any other place for the fluid to go except the crankcase. But if it is going there it has to come out sooner or later. By the way I for one think "posterior" is very colorful. Thanks for sticking with the rules, and you have to let us know when you find the primary fluid.

Could it be going into the tranny, check the tranny fluid level.

If somehow it was, my guess would be oil would be pouring out the tranny breather tube and the OP says the underside is clean. (?) I don't even think there is room for an extra qt of oil.

If somehow it was, my guess would be oil would be pouring out the tranny breather tube and the OP says the underside is clean. (?) I don't even think there is room for an extra qt of oil.

There isnt room for it, if you over fill your tranny you will Know it on your first ride:s could the crank seal be installed incorrectly, allowing the primary fluid to migrate into the case?

Last edited by a moderator:
The only way I found mine was to put it on the bike lift, while using a jack,and runing the bike a while in gear, then the leak appeared. You have to have a leak somewhere. Is there any oil on belt?

Back