free website stats program Primary oil leak behind starter? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Primary oil leak behind starter?

hoggy25: Yes, I did check the tranny vent hose, dry as a bone. Thanks for the suggestion, as it is located right where my oil is accumulating.

Search for this item number on Ebay 390198852862. I have these on my bike, I have since gotten 3 more pair for friends.

Lancer:

Thanks for the reply. Do you have to cut the threads on the shifter linkage ends to make the proper length for shifting with these ends?

Küryakyn also sells those Heim joint threaded ends, I think their about $15 at your HD dealer...:s

On my 08 Ultra I did not have to cut threads, it was a perfect fit. On a friends 05 EG Classic we left one jam nut off and used locktite (everything gets locktite on my bike). I bought chrome washers, bolts, and acorn nut, from Ace Hardware. Pleased with the results, no rattles and seems to shift better.

Thought I would update the group on the oil leak. Pulled the starter and pulled the VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor) to replace the o-ring in the unit. The old o-ring really wasn't split or cut, but it was somewhat squashed. Put the new o-ring on and crossed my fingers. So far, so good. Must have been mashed just enough to let some tranny fluid leak out when running. Didn't have to pull the starter, but wanted to clean up the housing so I could see if this did the trick, as it appears to have been successful. Also, thanks to Lancer on the e-bay heim joints for my shifter linkage ends. $8.90 shipped to my door. Compared to $37.95 for a pair of Kuryakyn chrome ends at the dealer. (and that didn't include the bolts or nylock nut!) All is right with the world again.

Scott in IL-'08 FLHT (The Mistress)

I just changed the linkage on my Heritage I used Rod Ends from Grainger Industrial Supply... Part number 6G172. What a difference it made shifts smoother & certainly stronger... Great advise !! :D
2.jpg

3.jpg

securedownload.jpg

Back