free website stats program Primary not so merry! | Harley Davidson Forums

Primary not so merry!

vt1340

Hello first post, I have a 1995 FLSTN, on a recent trip i found my primary was dry. after trouble shooting this i found the oil from the primary going into the crank case and over filling the oil tank (made sure of this with the use of dye) replaced the crank seal but is still doing the same thing. I am planning on sealing the 4 screws that holds the stator wire in place but my question is in the service manual it says with the wet clutch models to turn the seal lip away from the flywheel. so question is Which way does the front of the seal face towards the fly wheel or towards the crank?
Thanks

no matter what the manual says, follow the simple rule. the seals always get installed with the lip towards the side that has oil pressure. which is the engine, the primary is just slinging oil around. this is reverse of what the book says. but works.
i cannot see that is how your primary oil is getting into the engine. i would bet its one of the inner primary to engine bolts not sealed, or missing. the primary fluid is seeping past it, and being scavenged out of the engine by the pump.
simple fix.

Back