free website stats program Primary noise | Harley Davidson Forums

Primary noise

2006FXDCI

Been getting a noise from the primary and an erratic vibration, noise kinda sounds like the jetsons car for lack of a better terminology. Noise is present when clutch lever is pulled in or let out so I am ruling out the I.P.B. as I've replaced it before and the noise was totally different. I've ordered new friction discs and clutch hub bearing and am waiting to tear down untill they come in. Anyone have any ideas as to what it could be ? I'm figuring it's the clutch hub bearing or hoping so anyways. I'm trying to rule out the tranny so my next question is when you pull in the clutch with the bike in neutral is the tranny mainshaft under power or not? I'm trying to figure out if it's in the clutch or the tranny. Also want to add I'm running an AIM VPC 92t with an SE spring and stock clutch plates bike is a 2006 dyna with the 6 speed tranny. Thanks for any info. Also I just replaced the front isolator so that can be ruled out as vibration and noise are still present. Thanks for any info.

No power to the tranny when the clutch is pulled....UNLESS the plates stick (normal) for a while..HENCE the Clunk.... When shifting into first.

IF clutch is adjusted Right... Usually clutch held in for 5 seconds will loose it's grip (surface tension) to each disc and all SHOULD be stopped...

Take a look here for "A" Proper Clutch adjustment.

Harley Davidson Community

signed....BUBBIE

Being an 06 dyna, there was problems with the trans bearings and Harley had buyers sign a document that they would bring the bike back at 15K miles to have the bearing replaced on them.

You may want to check with the dealer to see if yours has been done.They can run your VIN and tell you if it was done or not.

Harley Davidson Community

Clutch is adjusted properly, have checked it twice now. Have done the primary chain adjusting trick also with no results. I purchased the bike brand new and have had the tranny bearing ( inner primary bearing ) changed twice, definitely a different noise happening now. Thats why I was wondering if the tranny mainshaft was still under power with clutch lever pulled in. Trying to narrow this down as the noise is constant whether clutch is engaged or not. So I'm leaning towards the clutch hub bearing as I believe it would always be turning whether clutch is engaged or not. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thats why I was wondering if the tranny mainshaft was still under power with clutch lever pulled in. Trying to narrow this down as the noise is constant whether clutch is engaged or not. So I'm leaning towards the clutch hub bearing as I believe it would always be turning whether clutch is engaged or not. Any ideas would be appreciated.

The main shaft turns anytime the engine is running. The operation of the clutch separates the plates and disengages the rear drive from the trans.

With clutch pulled, Put it into low gear, ALL is stopped..... BUT the clutch basket, bearings involved there and engine and primary chain ... Tranny and Its bearings out of the picture then.

signed....BUBBIE

Thanks Bubbie, with bike in 1st gear clutch pulled in noise is present. Noise gets higher in frequency (pitch) the more you rev the engine. going to tear down primary this week, have new clutch plates ordered picked up new clutch hub bearing and SE comp. bolt. $90.00 for a piece of (EDIT) clutch bearing that is made in japan with a plastic cage. Gotta love HD ! Thanks everyone for your input and please keep the suggestions coming.

Please read and understand the info in this link...

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
Pulled derby cover off last night to see if one of the bolts from my VPC had backed out and was rubbing the derby cover, everything there was good. Drained primary fluid and had normal amount of grey sludge on magnet but also had around 10 silver metal flakes on magnet. Makes me think it's from a bearing or a race. Can I start up the engine with the outer primary cover off so I can try to find the noise a little easier? Thanks for any info Josh

If it's drained well you shouldn't get too much sling off oil but I wouldn't run it too long like that for lack of lubrication.

Back