free website stats program Primary Drain Plug Stripped | Harley Davidson Forums

Primary Drain Plug Stripped

franka

Changing all three holes today and noticed the primary drain plug gets tight but with a bit more of a turn it loosens. Threads on plug look good so I'm guessing it's the primary threads.
What's the fix? 2007 Road King

Changing all three holes today and noticed the primary drain plug gets tight but with a bit more of a turn it loosens. Threads on plug look good so I'm guessing it's the primary threads.
What's the fix? 2007 Road King
May have to re tap and use a slightly larger plug or use a self tapping plug.
I've seen this happen on car engine oil pans where a self tapping drain plug is about the only fix.

Good 1, I was typing while you were posting. :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
Get the 3/8-24 Timesert kit; not the .520 length, too long but the .350 length will work just fine. The last two threads must be pushed into the material by the insert tool being tapered some and expanding it.

No need to remove the outer primary to let most of the fluid drain and go to work. Remove the derby cover. First you drill the hole larger, marking the bit so its the length of the insert. There will be more fluid inside but it will keep you from throwing shavings inside the primary cavity. Most shavings will be on the bit; a few will trickled out with the dripping fluid. Put a container down for the contaminated fluid and use more fluid as flush as you work. Just pour a few ounces of fluid in at a time, letting it push anything out the hole to the contaminated fluid container.

When done drilling, tap and countersink the new hole. Install the insert with the tool feel it push the biting thread some and turn the tool back out; done. No more issues with aluminum threads; a steel insert threaded to the proper drain plug.............;)

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...D800DCAFDCC6D8A74351D800DCAFDCC6D8A&FORM=VIRE

I'll add that when your getting ready to drill put some grease on the tip of the bit, it will help catch some of the fileings.

Back