free website stats program Primary chain noise | Harley Davidson Forums

Primary chain noise

Steven Letts

About a week ago I noticed a noise coming from my primary. This is on a 2010 E.G. Classic. When I took the primary cover off the automatic adjuster had the chain with only 1 quarter inch of free play. I decided to try a manual adjuster. I bought the S G eagle one from Harley after install I read a few reviews . Most said it worked ok but was noisy. They were right it's very noisy. Since it said it's for big hp motors I guess the pad material is harder. My question is if I reset the old automatic adjuster will it work or go right back to being to tight? It lasted for 38000 miles before it did this and looks to be ok thanks for any help

You can collapse it, reinstall, then release it. It will reset itself when released. Over time it may re-tension to tight again. It usually gets to tight from revving high then backing off, as in hot rodding or showing off, rpm's up & down quickly.
tourbox

You can collapse it, reinstall, then release it. It will reset itself when released. Over time it may re-tension to tight again. It usually gets to tight from revving high then backing off, as in hot rodding or showing off, rpm's up & down quickly.
tourbox
Thanks if the Screaming Eagle one I put in doesn't quiet down some I will put the old one back in

Back