free website stats program Primary chain case leak | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Primary chain case leak

Here is the final comment on the primary chain case leak: ...

I will let everyone know in April or May when I fire the bike up again for next season.

Excellent info! I did not know that. Will check what I have in the garage to make sure I use it appropriately. Suspect it is "HTV".

Have a Happy Thanksgiving, and a good hibernation. See you in the Spring!

TQ

Do you suppose that thread locking adhesive would work? It would cure a bit faster. I think you'd want to use the weakest thread locker and coat the bolt pretty well.

Do you suppose that thread locking adhesive would work? It would cure a bit faster. I think you'd want to use the weakest thread locker and coat the bolt pretty well.
No, thread locker does not seal and would not work.

Here is the final comment on the primary chain case leak:

RTV stands for Room Temperature Vulcanization.... which means the thermoset silicone compounds must cure at room temperature. There are also LTV and HTV for the kinds of thermoset silicone compounds that cure at Low or High temperatures.

Room Temperature Vulcanization refers to a specific curing process involving room temperatures (65 to 75 degrees F). It is a chemical process in which polymer molecules are linked to other polymer molecules by atomic bridges composed of sulfur atoms. The end result is that the springy rubber molecules become cross-linked to a greater or lesser extent. This makes the bulk material harder, much more durable and also more resistant to chemical attack. It also makes the surface of the material smoother and prevents it from sticking to metal or plastic chemical catalysts. This heavily cross-linked polymer has strong covalent bonds, with strong forces between the chains, and is therefore an insoluble and infusible, thermosetting polymer or thermoset.

Thats what I thought.... Haha, seriously, I had no idea what the (edit) rtv actually stood for and have been using it for years. In any case, sounds like you are on the right track. Good luck.:D

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
Back