free website stats program Power Commander II problem? | Harley Davidson Forums

Power Commander II problem?

redleg

Hi y'all. Would like to know if someone else has had the same problems with a Power Commander. I started my bike up and it ran for about two seconds and died. Tried starting the bike it would not run. Upon further investigation I noticed the 15amp ECM fuse had blown. Replaced the fuse and the bike ran rough with the Power Commander still installed. Did some trouble shooting and took the Power Commander out of the loop and the bike runs fine. Took the Power Commander back to the guy who installed it and mapped it. He performed a hard re-set on it and remapped, this did not solve the problem. Right now the PC is back at Dynojet. Just wondering if the PC is bad or if I might have another problem with my 2007 Street Bob. Read some where if you have a bad crank sensor it could cause the PC to malfunction but run ok with the stock ECM hooked up. Thanks for any help!

I have had the same problem with PCIII. I was told by Dynojet that a weak crank sensor would cause problems with the unit but would run the factory computer just fine. This all started about a year ago. Dynojet sent me a new unit that worked fine until a week or so ago. Then I started having all kinds of problems. Hard start, high idle, and would want to just sputter and quit. Just unhooked the Commander and all seam fine. I am thinking that the problem is with the crank sensor. I was getting a code 56 which indicated the sensor but could also indicate a misfire. This could have come about because of the hard start problem. Hope this helps.

I have had the same problem with PCIII. I was told by Dynojet that a weak crank sensor would cause problems with the unit but would run the factory computer just fine. This all started about a year ago. Dynojet sent me a new unit that worked fine until a week or so ago. Then I started having all kinds of problems. Hard start, high idle, and would want to just sputter and quit. Just unhooked the Commander and all seam fine. I am thinking that the problem is with the crank sensor. I was getting a code 56 which indicated the sensor but could also indicate a misfire. This could have come about because of the hard start problem. Hope this helps.
I would think if the sensor works the factory ecm without the P.C. hooked that the problem is with the P.C. not the sensor. The Power Commander is an aftermarket piece of equipment and it is the job of the Aftermarket company to make the aftermarket equipment work with the factory sensors...Not ViceVersa.

I would have to agree with what wildsprit97 stated about the PC III working with the factory sensor. Since my last post I am now experencing a high idle problem even with the PC III disconnected. The bike runs just fine now other than the high idle. I am not sure if a weak crank sensor could cause this problem or not. I have read that a high idle is sometimes related to a bad tempetature sensor. I m not sure which way to turn. Any help or ideas would be great.

maybe I missed it, but I don't see any info on the bike your having the problem with. A year, model, and list of mods would help other help you.:s There's no such thing as TMI when it comes do diagnosing a problem.

Sorry about that. I have a 98 Road King Classic. The only mods are a set of Screaming Eagle slip ons and K&N air filter. Like I said I have unhooked the Power Commander. Before that I was having all kinds of weird problems. Now just the high idle. The remark I made in an earlier post about the crank sensor was what the tech form Dynajet told me. He said that the PC III needed a stronger impulse signal than the factory computer. He even had me check it for crude build up. He said that could even disrupt the signal. Thanks for your help.

Back