free website stats program Power, but won't start | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Power, but won't start

Can you jump out or disable the clutch safety switch? I don't want to find out at a intersection that bike won't start when in gear and big truck coming. Bike is 2010 FatBoy.
Thanks
wilks3

Last edited:
I have almost same problem, but in my case, uppon hitting start button, the relay clicks, but bike doesn't start.

Hoople made a very good point, and I tried to do just that, but mi bike doesn't have that notation on it.

Dyna Superglide 2003. Has 5 pins with numbers 1, 2, 3, 4 on them and the lower one doesn't have any number...

How do I do just that in those?

Thank you.:sd

Hi, with regard to Osorenai, i had a similar problem with my 94 softail,starter relay clicking,battery new ,starter good,grounding good and the helpful people on this site gave me some pointers about testing at the starter relay and once i posted my findings, i was told that a connection between handlebar and relay[most probably under the tank]had come unstuck,so armed with that great info i took the tanks off,wiggled the wires while holding the starter button on and lo and behold i had power! Knowing that this could just as easily become redundant again, i got a pair of tweezers and carefully moved the wires while the bike was turning over[plugs out!] till it no loger turned over and then i knew i had found the connection which for me tuned out to be a multi connector under the right side tank,but i had to take the other side off as well so that i could make the female side of the errant connection mate properly with the male side-bingo-havent had a problem since.This site will be invaluable to you with the many talented and helpful folk out there,cheers Nick.

Hi, with regard to Osorenai, i had a similar problem with my 94 softail,starter relay clicking,battery new ,starter good,grounding good and the helpful people on this site gave me some pointers about testing at the starter relay and once i posted my findings, i was told that a connection between handlebar and relay[most probably under the tank]had come unstuck,so armed with that great info i took the tanks off,wiggled the wires while holding the starter button on and lo and behold i had power! Knowing that this could just as easily become redundant again, i got a pair of tweezers and carefully moved the wires while the bike was turning over[plugs out!] till it no loger turned over and then i knew i had found the connection which for me tuned out to be a multi connector under the right side tank,but i had to take the other side off as well so that i could make the female side of the errant connection mate properly with the male side-bingo-havent had a problem since.This site will be invaluable to you with the many talented and helpful folk out there,cheers Nick.

I echo zoob2's statement. Without the great members here and without members reporting their solutions like zoob2 has done, this place would be nothing....
Sorry to hijack.
Back to your regularly scheduled program........

Thank you very much for your invaluable help. :small3d028:

All this is helping me get to know my bike a lot better, and I love it.

Found a diagram for the mini relay twincams have and made the test. Passed. Placed the voltimeter and it has current (upon hitting start button), but the reading is 11.44v (not the 12v Hoople had suggested).

Is that bad?, What could that say?

Going for a new relay in the morning and will let you know.

Thanks for the advise zoob2, haven't discarded having to check something between the start button and the relay.

Has the battery been checked and load tested? Auto parts store will test it for you. Sounds like a weak battery to me...

Back