free website stats program Powder coating wheels | Harley Davidson Forums

Powder coating wheels

Biffy08

Hi all on this first day of the New Year!

Can anyone advise for/against powder coating the stock aluminum wheels on my new FLHX? I am considering doing this because it seems that they always end up looking very hagered in a short period of time. Besides, they are not the easiest item to polish. Or maybe someone has developed an easier way of cleaning and polishing? And would anyone know a ballpark $ cost I should pay for this service?

Have a great New Year!

Are you talking about wire spoke rims? I would think it to be cheaper to buy the mags of your choice rather than powder coating. You would have to unlace then re-lace the rims. I would go with Stainless spokes at that time. HD has a pretty good price for their rims versus after market.
If yours are stock factory mags I think they are already powder coated. I may be confused.
tourbox

Looks like the 2014 comes with a cast wheel and it has some color on the rim. I think you would have to let whoever does the powder coating have a look at what is already on the rim before you could get a price. 2014 flhx street glide - Google Search

Sorry for the confusion. I was wondering about the stock cast mags. Part of the wheel is powder coated black and then bare aluminum on the majority of the wheel. I know the powder coater would need to redo the entire rim should I choose this route. What I am trying to avoid is the pitting that occurs typically on the bare portion of the wheel. To me, the bare aluminum looks horrible in a few months, and is a bear to bring back!:small3d023: I am also wondering if doing this will void any warranty?

Thanks!

Sorry for the confusion. I was wondering about the stock cast mags. Part of the wheel is powder coated black and then bare aluminum on the majority of the wheel. I know the powder coater would need to redo the entire rim should I choose this route. What I am trying to avoid is the pitting that occurs typically on the bare portion of the wheel. To me, the bare aluminum looks horrible in a few months, and is a bear to bring back!:small3d023: I am also wondering if doing this will void any warranty?

If you want a real robust coating, check out PolyDyn (Performance coatings by Polydyn). They can apply Teflon in a multitude of colors in flat or shiny. That stuff is just like your fry pan. The only way to get it off, is to scrape off the metal!!

I did all the hot stuff on my engine when I rebuilt it in '99. Way better than powder-coating.

Cheers,

TQ

Seems to me the black is factory powder coat, the shinier part should have a light clear coat on, once that is gone the pitting starts, that would have to be polished off before any coating could be applied IMO

Thanks TQuentin and totally agree with you on the clear coat Jack. It doesn't take much for the clear coat to start coming off and corrosion to happen.

Back