free website stats program Positive criticism only, please | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

Positive criticism only, please

Even under the most ideal circumstances, there is always something you could have done differently to change the outcome of an accident. Could you have reacted faster? Did you fixate on the bike in front? Could you have braked sooner?

But, are those answers going to help you decide if you're going to keep riding? Will they help you when you talk to your wife?

I'm not sure to be honest.

I wouldn't waste time second guessing.

There isn't a motorcyclist alive that can't learn a thing or two so, the advise that has already been given is sound.

Lastly, IMO, I think you have to sit down and talk with your wife about the future. Marriage is a compromise and if you guys can't come to a decision together, I'm not sure what else to tell you.

But, she should know how important riding is to you. If not riding makes you a miserable person to be around, that is another thing to consider. If you can do something else to occupy your time besides riding and keep you and your family happy, so be it.

I was a smoker when I met my wife. I quit because it was the right thing to do. But, I was a bear to be around. My wife almost bought me a pack of smokes because, she'd rather have a smoking husband and loving father than a grumpy person wandering around the house. Thankfully, she lived with it a bit longer and I kicked the habit. But, what ever the action is, riding, bowling, drinking.......you get the idea.

Hope you don't received this as a negative comment. I really think the best advise is to talk to your wife about how you feel and take it from there. There is no right or wrong. Just what's best for you and your family.

Good luck.

:s

Some people have a predisposition for bleeding: Internal and external. One way to improve integrity of the arteries, veins, capillaries, etc. is to cease drinking alcohol. Alcohol weakens all of those. For example, in a hard core alcoholic, their skin is discolored because of ruptured capillaries. Their blood carrying arteries in the brain are so weakened that it's possible for a hard core alcoholic to experience a fatal brain hemorrhage by just being slapped hard on the head. I'm not saying that the original poster of this subject is an alcoholic, but what I am saying is that anyone with bleeding problems should stop drinking alcohol. Just my two cents. You do whatever you want. Me…I don't drink because I was raised by an alcoholic and saw the results.

Personally, if the vehicle in front of me hits their brakes hard, I would have grabbed both brakes (being careful not to grab the front one hard enough to cause the front to skid). As long as I'm going straight, that gives me shortest stop distance.

Sorry you had such difficulties afterward and hope everything works out well for you.

Goes back to what I always say... use the FRONT brake! Not sure why so many Harley riders I see don't use the front brake. There's a reason they put 2 on the front of the baggers. Just sayin...

More food for thought. I'm glad you are ok but what happened to you will make you better rider, this is not something you will soon forget. ( i know this from experience) I have been riding for 38 years and took my first Riders Safety Course last summer. I agree it was time well spent. Until then you can go to a good clean parking lot and practice Panic Stopping, its the first thing I do when I get a new bike. This will also change when you have a passenger on board. On the street is not the place to have to learn how to panic stop. Practice practice & practice. Good luck man, glad you had the helmet on too.

Why am I getting the distinct impression that his wife made him give up riding, get rid of the bike, and NEVER log onto that Harley forum again?!?

:(OK, I'm riding and following another rider, we come to an intersection, light is steady green, we start through intersection when rider in front hits his brakes hard, I also hit my brake, rear only, and just before coming to a stop, I tip over to the left and hit my head and my front tire makes contact with his rear fender. I get up, pick up my bike,no damage, helmet has slight scratch with no cracks or holes, restart and continue on to the VFW post where ride ends. I am fine with no problems, but I wind up, 30 days later, in the hospital, brain bleed, surgery, 9 days ICU and then to rehab for 3 weeks. I am back to normal now, I want to ride but wife wants bike to go.

Can anyone give me a tip as to what went wrong? There were no other riders aroung at the time, just the bike in front of me and he stated that he heard me skidding and knew there was going to be contact. I guess I must have frozen because I did not take evasive action.

About 12 years ago my cousion who is now in His 60's was riding around rual Salt Lake with a friend of His.
He had a new softail, they were going thru a intrescetion and He was broadsided by a pickup. He was found dead by His riding friend.
Make a micrale short. He woke up in a hospital several days later, and all He could rember was for some reason His bike seemed to stall out. I spent 4 days at His side after the wreck.
My cousion had been riding almost all of His life, dirt bikes, large bikes, maybe one of the BEST army 104th grunts to ever be in Vietnam, the best hunter I have ever hunted with. Plus a heart of unmatched gold.
To this day He does not know what happened.

HE HAS NOT QUIT RIDING BIKES.

U know things happen. In 1974 it seems like I survived on insurance claims on my Norton for 6 months. I never had the thought of not riding.

Your problem is U have a family and decisions have to be made. Sometimes it may seem right or wrong. Many people have died from bike wrecks, and yet many more people ride a full life. Yes things happen, that is what makes the life of a biker to me worth everything that it is.
What ever U decide.

My two cents.

Re: Positive criticism only, please: MANY THANKS TO ALL

I want to thank the members of HD for their concise, beneficial, and informative responses to my recent issue. I have read each one and find helpful input in each one. The common constructive theme thread that I find is distance, evasive action on my part, and emergency stopping.

Alcohol does not enter into the picture because when I ride or plan on riding I don't drink at all. That is a pact that I made with myself. In fact I don't drink alcohol that much at all.

I did take the MSF when I came back to riding after a 30 year hiatus and if I continue to ride I will retake it and make plans to the take the Experienced Rider Course. This is all contingent on the wife's input as to me riding again. By the way she is not a rider or fan. I have no fears about getting out again but household harmony needs to be considered. The jury is still out but I am workiing on it.

Again, many thanks for all the help and encouragement that ALL provided.

Re: Positive criticism only, please: MANY THANKS TO ALL

I want to thank the members of HD for their concise, beneficial, and informative responses to my recent issue. ... ... ... Alcohol does not enter into the picture because when I ride or plan on riding I don't drink at all. That is a pact that I made with myself. In fact I don't drink alcohol that much at all.

... ... ... This is all contingent on the wife's input as to me riding again. By the way she is not a rider or fan. I have no fears about getting out again but household harmony needs to be considered. The jury is still out but I am workiing on it.

Again, many thanks for all the help and encouragement that ALL provided.

Maybe just let things lay for awhile. Time can change things. I feel for you. I am fortunate to have a wife that loves bikes and riding on the back with me. But maybe the future will even things out. Tell her now is not a good time to sell the bike due to the economy (which is true).

Back