free website stats program Poor Throttle Response on Roll On | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Poor Throttle Response on Roll On

Sorry to leave this hanging! After several years here is "the rest of the story!"

Changing the throttle body stopped the codes. I haven't had a code come up since I changed the TB out in 2008. The bike runs good, except the throttle response, as I reported, moved down in the 1500 RPM range where it doesn't cause much of a problem. Only occasionally do I feel the surge down at the lower RPMs.

My conclusion is that the TB was in fact defective, causing the codes. But, the throttle response issue was a product of the software in the ECM. I have played around with the throttle map in the Tuner software and it is much better, but it is still there. I haven't tried a later version of the Tuner software, not even sure if there is a later version. I might look into that in the future.

I can tell you this. This is my last Air Cooled bike. I have so much time and money in this bike that I won't get rid of it for quite a while, but if I do I will make sure the replacement is a liquid cooled machine. If Harley makes one, it will be in the running, but who knows. They have almost liquid cooled the new trikes, we'll just have to see where this goes.

Ride safe!!

Bob, Woodstock, GA

Bob,

Thanks for coming back to finish this thread, IT May help here...:D

signed....BUBBIE

+1 on What Bubbie said. This is how these threads help folks down the road. We appreciate the follow through!

Sorry to leave this hanging! After several years here is "the rest of the story!"

Changing the throttle body stopped the codes. I haven't had a code come up since I changed the TB out in 2008. The bike runs good, except the throttle response, as I reported, moved down in the 1500 RPM range where it doesn't cause much of a problem. Only occasionally do I feel the surge down at the lower RPMs.

My conclusion is that the TB was in fact defective, causing the codes. But, the throttle response issue was a product of the software in the ECM. I have played around with the throttle map in the Tuner software and it is much better, but it is still there. I haven't tried a later version of the Tuner software, not even sure if there is a later version. I might look into that in the future.

I can tell you this. This is my last Air Cooled bike. I have so much time and money in this bike that I won't get rid of it for quite a while, but if I do I will make sure the replacement is a liquid cooled machine. If Harley makes one, it will be in the running, but who knows. They have almost liquid cooled the new trikes, we'll just have to see where this goes.

Ride safe!!

Bob, Woodstock, GA

Harley does have a liquid cooled machine - Ultra Limited, new for 2014

Back