free website stats program Poor idle when hot | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Poor idle when hot

You still have a little room left on the adjustment before needing to go up in jet size. Keep us posted on how it works out for you.

So, I took it to work today, 25 miles. It was over 90 degrees on the way home and it idled perfectly the whole time. It has never idled this well. At this point it looks like the problem has been solved.

The funny thing is that after I did the adjustment at 1.5 turns out, I found some info on the internet saying the stock setting is 3 turns out for the idle mixture screw. Not sure that is correct. I also confirmed that the stock jets are in it.

Oh well, it's running great, that's all I care.

Glad you got it sorted out. Just curious, how many turns out was it before you started? Did it in fact have the plug covering the screw?
3 turns is a little too far out IMO. Anything over about 2-1/2 turns, its time to up the slow jet to the next size. At three turns you are running the risk of the adjustment screw vibrating out of the carb and leaving stranded.

After an adjustment on the needle, it seems to be better although we were not out in the real heat of the day. No stumbles at idle and I got to turn it down a bit after an hour's ride.

Ooooops, mean idle mixture screw. It is now 1.5 turns out.
That is a good place for it. 1.5 turns out "IF" it is running right.

Have you checked for an air intake leak at the manifold or carb rubber?

I need to run a .046/.048 low speed jets in my 06 sport 1200 R.
At 4400 feet, I use the .046 and at lower altitudes like close to sea-level, the .048 is needed...

I get 48/50 mpg and that is not bad for the 1200 Roadster. NOT Lean, but I forget the main jet size I use.***
i have python 3 exhaust and SE air along with the Hotter SE stuff the Roadster comes with stock from factory.

***I could take it apart to look, sorry, but Not Today:D

signed....BUBBIE

I don't know where the initial setting was since I removed it completely to inspect it. After I removed it, I smacked myself for not checking to see the initial setting. There was no plug over it like many diagrams show on other year's carbs. I have no idea if the previous owner had touched it. I chose 1.5 turns out because that is the baseline setting for every carb I have ever worked on from lawnmowers to quads, dirt bikes, cars etc. I just got lucky that my first try got it right.

I have not checked extensively for an air leak because I didn't think it was that. I was initially thinking coil. The more I thought about it, I thought carb.I would have gotten there - eventually.

...and I agree, 3 turns out just might vibrate out.

So I guess Rinehart is correct, stock jets are fine if you are not also changing the air filter for a high flowing one.

Back