free website stats program Please Help Me Find Comfort! | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Please Help Me Find Comfort!

I do not know where you live or if you are near a dealer but when I got my crossbones, I hated the seat and the little buddy seat even worst. The dealer had a lot of new seats hanging on the showroom wall, the parts people let me try some different ones for a day ride, after 3 trys found one which both look good and feels good. Of course over here they do not have any extra ones, you must order and hope for the best, but check other peoples rides see what they says. Due to having broken my back years ago I can not ride an FX model (maybe now??) due to where the shock hits, I feel it real quick. The baggers with their seats and air rides are no issue for me. Good Luck to you

Thanks again all :). Yes, 20 years would make a difference because MY seat is not what it used to be lol.

The bike seat is actually fine. It would be the suspension, I guess. You know how when you go over a small bump in the road, or even a rough spot where a hole has been filled...it should feel like a bit of a bounce. I don't get that, I get a bottomed-out, hit-a-deep-pothole feeling. I have accidentally bit my tongue until it bled when it happened once, it gives me a bad headache, and my helmet will actually move. It happens at all speeds. Its a hard clunk feeling. I have gotten so I have to chew gum constantly and keep it between my teeth so they don't smash together.

I'm going to print out these remarks so the driver can have a look. Thanks again so much!

Sorry, I did miss replying to a comment...the ride is good on smooth highways, no problems there, only bad when hitting any roughness.

I'm not familiar with the lowering kit you speak of, but some will take away some of the supspension travel which is going to affect ride.

A Dyna might be a little better for the passenger, but it ain't a real smooth riding bike either. Some vibration in the pegs and bars for the driver, especially with forward controls..

If you guys want comfort, you are gonna have to go with a touring model bike. Keep an eye on the email and paper flyers for demo days. Go ride several and then you will know. If they won't let you ride 2 up on a demo, then let you driver ride the demos and then rent one that looks promising.

Suspension bottoming out on even small bumps, need to increase spring rate either by adjustment or replace shocks with heavier units. Removeing the lowering kit may also help, as it will increase the amount of suspension travel

i would have to lean towards the lowering kit being the main problem. just like in the lowered cars and truks, once you install the lowering kit, no matter what kind of high dollar shocks and dampeners you put on it it will still ride like a log wagon.

lowering means less travel for the shocks springs/pistons to do thier job and absorb the hit.

so then it sounds like, before getting rid of a bike that he loves, maybe he could get rid of the lowering kit first, to see if that helps.

As it is the lowest cost option removing the lowering kit would be the first thing to try
The softail custom is a great bike to keep

Brian

As it is the lowest cost option removing the lowering kit would be the first thing to try
The softail custom is a great bike to keep

Brian

Couldn't agree more!

Cheers!
WAP.gif

Back