free website stats program Piston Lube for single piston front brakes | Harley Davidson Forums

Piston Lube for single piston front brakes

banjopete

Hi guys,
I am in need to overhaul the two calipers of my 1995 FLHTC with single pistons. The Harley Manual call for some GE Versilube on the inside of the cylinder and piston. Can't find it anywhere!....Any recommendations?? I have heard Permatex ultraSlick ( pn 24127) might be good.....
Thoughts?????????
Thanks...Pete

I always lube mine with the recommended brake fluid. Including o-rings & dust covers. Being a '95 I think yours calls Dot 5
tourbox

Thanks for the input "tourbox"...I use DOT5 for my fluids and I have seen some installation videos using that also, but manual calls for a silicon grease noted above and it's different one than the pin lube. So I don't know how much difference it's going to make. My bike is 24 yrs old this coming Sept and has close to 300,000 kms on it...it's the first time I've noted the front calipers binding a little so I'm about to drop in new pistons, seals and dust cover.

When we did caliper rebuilding we used brake fluid on the seal and piston and pinched the piston into the caliper by hand after everything was cleaned up.
We had a lube that did come with most kits, when it didn't come with a kit we would use a silicone grease in the boot to help keep it from building up rust on the piston.
Sta-Lube # SL3301 from NAPA is a good product to use, also Sil-Glyde #765-1346

Back